Monday, March 06, 2006

More Scrubs News

Man, I've been focusing on this show a lot lately. Probably not-so-coincidentally, traffic on this site has dropped quite a bit. Not a big fan of the show, eh? Anyways, NBC just announced that starting March 7, original episodes of Scrubs will be followed by a cast member's favorite episode, beginning with Zach Braff's pick: "My Last Chance". Audio commentary from the cast about each pick will also be posted online.

Though this makes me very excited, it's not necessarily a good thing. Whenever a network does a stunt like this, it's usually a sign of desperation, which means the show may be very much on the chopping block. The ratings have been so-so as usual this season, but I'm assuming the last few eps haven't done so well? I just hope it's a matter of scheduling and that they just needed to space the original eps apart. However, the rumor mill's been saying for a while now that the show may not come back next year. If so, Bill Lawrence is quoted as saying that ABC would become the show's home:
"The one time ABC owning us is going to be good for us, will be when for some reason the show didn’t get picked up next year by NBC. It’s 100 percent that ABC will pick it up because the president of the network is the one that developed it – Stephen McPhearson who used to run Touchstone – and every episode we make is profit for Disney. I think we would have a really good shot. I’m very honest, I’m friends with the actors and writers, it’s about 70/30 we’ll be on somewhere next year, and after next year it will probably go away. We always had it geared up six years in our head. It’s what Zach’s contract is and I think after you get past that, to really redefine the show, you have to start talking about Zach walking out and some kid with a new voiceover coming in and I’m not sure that’s what I want to do."

11 Comments:

Anonymous Bree said...

I'm still here! I live for Scrubs! Thanks for all the news-- exciting stuff, those audio commentaries. I can't get enough of them on the s1 and s2 DVDs. Here's hoping ABC pulls through!

10:12 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

Imagine if ABC had picked up Arrested and the scored with Scrubs? Dream Zany Comedy Hour!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous amy said...

I love Scrubs! I love your site! I love the music! I love the clips!

Why have an audience if it's going to consist of those who dislike Scrubs? That's probably worse than actually having just 1 hit or something.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous nic said...

Nothing wrong with a marketing gimmick if it gets me something I want. (And I would download the Scrubs commentary.)

The posted Scrubs commentary reminds me of the extra you get when you explore Rob Thomas' site. Since they rushed the Veronica Mars DVD, he uploaded his commentary for the pilot episode. It's what's great about having "multiple channels" for media consumption.

Now if only I could quit my job and get paid to watch television full time...

1:03 AM  
Blogger Janna said...

I watched Scrubs for the first time ever last night. It was funny, but I think I prefer the more melodramatic types of shows like GA and Lost. However... Zach Braff is amazing so I'll probably be tuning in again.

Is Tuesday the show's normal night?

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NBC has been desperate for awhile, I think stunts like this are kind of cool in comparison to how fascist they've been with clips of their shows as viral videos that spread around the internet. It's cool that they're willing to do something stupidly experimental with the shows they air since the fans just get more of what they want while letting NBC fill it's schedule holes with reruns.

I never really started watching the show until this season, but these hour blocks of the show are a great wayfor me to pick up this show until I find the DVDs on sale, I'm now a die hard fan.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

hey janna,
glad you checked out scrubs! altho last night's new ep was the worst one this season i thought... so keep watching! =) Tuesdays at 9 and 9:30 are the normal slots...

hi anonymous,
i too am so angry at nbc for pulling their videos from youtube. other people would pay a lot of money for that kind of viral marketing...

and nic, i totally agree that these stunts are fun and cool. i watched last night's 9:30 ep twice, once with commentary and another without. so there's nothing "wrong" with the "marketing gimmick" itself (actually a programming gimmick), but it sucks cause it may very well be an indication the suits upstairs are that much closer to not picking it up next year. i work in programming, and we usually reach for stunts like this when we're trying to save a show from dipping too low in the ratings before we have to kill it. so let's hope that this stunt works!!

4:34 PM  
Anonymous nic said...

Sadly I am use to my favorite shows getting canceled.

Reading your response to me reminded me of that great bit in Arrested Development when they made fun (referenced?) the "My Name is Earl" pop-up/print/audio ad.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo. so i dled the scrubs soundtrack for seasons 1-4. let me know if u want it, ill send over the bittorrent file. man, they cant cancel this show!

-Cliff

10:49 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

At least the third season is coming out in May. It has, IMO, some of the best Scrubs eps, and a lot of my favorites. Like My Screw Up, My White Whale and My Friend the Doctor.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

hey cliff,
how's it going? i'm gonna be in LA next sat for 5 days... holler. and yes, def send that bittorrent file to my gmail! thanks dude!

and hi michelle,
i cannot wait for the 3rd season. what did you think of the most recent episode?

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home