Tuesday, June 27, 2006

May The Schwartz Be With You

I am a huge dork. Seriously, ask any of my close friends and they will proclaim to the skies, fists-clenched, that Captain Oats is one of the biggest dorks they know.

Speaking of screaming to the skies, my writing partner wrote a really funny post a while back about the perfect movie trailer formula, def worth a read or three.

Anyways, I digress. So, I'm a dork. I used to spend many nights alone in my room (and by "used to" I mean like five minutes ago), where usually after a long cry and/or spooning with my body pillow, I'd watch the bonus features on my OC DVDs and hope that some day I'd meet either Rachel Bilson, Adam Brody or Josh Schwartz.

Somewhere along the way, I start a blog that, let's be honest, at best sounds like the blog of giddy 12 year old girl (no offense to my giddy 12 year old girl readers, just saying), and next thing you know, I've met two out of the three without being a complete stalker. Am I bragging? Hells yes. Why? Because this is what a dork brags about. Okay, the time I met Brody, my friend Mary and I were probably being a bit stalker-ish, but that's beside the point (hey Mary, if you're reading this, don't ya just miss those days? actually happy going to work, filled with moxy, a lil pep in our step.. *sigh* ).

So, the night I met one of my writer-idols took place on May 5, 2006. First off, a big thank you to Silly Pipe Dreams reader and friend, Lyle, for inviting me to this private shindig. Anyways, as many of you know, Josh Schwartz (creator of the OC) and music supervisor Alexandra Patsavas have been featured in many, many, many articles for bringing indie music to the mainstream. Recently, they did a panel for the Tribeca Film Festival. I did not go to this, as it cost $20 and I am a cheap bastard.

But I did go to the private concert that followed. And sweet heavens, what a great lineup. First up, Matt Pond PA:

You OC-watchers may know them as the band that covered Champagne Supernova. Their songs are mostly average, but they do have a few gems. My favorite track: "So Much Trouble" - Matt Pond PA

Then came one of my favorite bands, Nada Surf, or at least 2/3 of the band (Matthew and Ira):


I've posted on Nada Surf a few times, so it seems appropriate to leave you with this song: "Do It Again" - Nada Surf

Next was a surprise performance by Mr. Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie:

You'd think people would go ape-shit, but everyone was kinda low-key the entire night. Must be an "industry" thing? I was screaming like a little girl. Again, I don't remember what songs he played, but I wanna say Crooked Teeth was in there? Either way, here's Ben covering Avril: "Complicated" - Ben Gibbard (live)

And lastly, Mates of State:

I love seeing these two live. They have such great chemistry and energy, being married probably helps, but they were definitely the best act of the night. They performed my two favorite songs:
"Goods" - Mates of State
"For The Actor" - Mates of State

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists were up after them, but I was quite tired, so I didn't stick around (for a better summary of this concert, go to this blog). But at some point during all of the above, I did meet Josh Schwartz. I tried to act cool as a cucumber, but failed miserably. He does read the blog though! And he is a very nice, humble human being... as far as I can tell from the short time we spoke. Anyhoo, the point is he could've been a dick, like many other famous folk, but he was quite the opposite. Wait, no, that'd make him a pussy. So scratch that. The sentence, not the genitalia. But yeah, he took the time to chat, offered advice, joked around... and that made this baby writer's night. It also reminded me to always put good karma out into the world.. so may the Schwartz be with you.

p.s. man, i totally wanna watch Spaceballs now, remember this awesomeness? leave comments!!



p.p.s. stream Muse's new album here.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you lucky bastard!!

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. You know, you can take away from this great experience meeting them, but the schmoozing and networking will definitely pay off in the long run. ;)

11:14 AM  
Blogger sam said...

Oh, the NBC visitor's center...memories! How's LA?

1:46 PM  
Anonymous kadanam said...

WOW!!!
You're so lucky!! ;)
I've seen Nada Surf in Paris recently, they were FABULOUS!!
Keep up the great work!!!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We giddy 12 (31) year old girls must stick together, solidarity! Thanks again for the music, stories, and pics.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you lucky bastard. My five most favorite things, Adam brody, DCFC, mates of state, matt pond pa, and nada surf!

haha , i hope you had a great time! :]

and thanks again as always for the amazing tunes.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never be ashamed of the power that comes with screaming like a little girl. Those moments have probably been the greatest of my life. And yes, I'm a huge dork too.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy you're one lucky bastard! Death Cab, Nada Surf and Brody? *is jealous* That picture of you and Schwartz is so cute. Make it known if you ever come to England ;)

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool show to get into. Next time, definitely stay for Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. They always rock really hard. Your blog is cool, man. Thanks for keeping it going.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous jin said...

they're going to korea... and i get to stay home =) i think you should use all these celeb run-ins to get me better presents for christmas, birthday etc... just a thought.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Christin said...

thanks for all the music :) cant wait till the new season start.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Cool vids!! Oh, and I"m so jealous yo..

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dammmmn, you're lucky haha.
I absolutely love your blog.I am a huge O.C fan myself. That concert would have been the best. Practically all my favourite bands are playing.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so incredibly jealous.
and that cover of complicated is awesome.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I love this blog. And there's nothing wrong with a grown man sounding like an eleven-year-old girl. Not a thing! ;)
- Mel

11:35 AM  
Anonymous una said...

Not really related to your post, but I just found your blog through Grey's Anatomy music forums and I want to say thank you for all you've provided!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not sayin anything further you are a very lucky bastard..

3:18 PM  
Blogger Swishy said...

Oh my gosh, you're cracking me up. There's nothing wrong with sounding like a 12-year-old girl! OR spooning with a body pillow! I do both regularly. :)

Congrats on the fun encounters!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

hey friends, thanks for the reassuring comments re: sounding like a 12 year old girl... but i assure you, it really does not help the love life when i rant and rave about the Hills and Veronica Mars. =)

3:00 AM  
Blogger kavina said...

jealous, jealous, JEALOUS!!!
oh, and can i add that you most definitely have the most commendable taste in music.
and of course, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that it is EXACTLY like mine hehe...
oh, and that whole 'why are you still single' question? yeah, i can't figure it out either..

x

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home