Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Tunerrifically Tardy

Hi again. I seriously suck at blogging. I am a horse's ass. I keep saying I'm gonna blog more, but I've been saying a lot of things, for years, like be a better human being, and that hasn't happened either. So.

But there's nothing much to blog about song-wise during the summer. The only show that's really caught my ear with their music selection has been Entourage (though I must say, I can't stand the theme song). If you haven't watched the first two eps of this season, you're missing out. This season's started off amazingly well. Last Sunday's episode tickled me to no end. Yes, that's right, it tickled. But I digress, here's a few songs that I've noticed from the show that also reside on my iTunes playlist:
Entourage - "Aquamom"
"Be Easy" - Ghostface Killah (feat. Trife)
"Feelin' Alright" - Joe Cocker

Entourage - "One Day in the Valley"
"Keep Me In Your Mind" - The Koreans

BUT, all that being said, the show you REALLY should be watching Sunday nights is HBO's new sitcom, Lucky Louie. It's created by Louis CK. He is one of the funniest men on the planet, perhaps the best standup comedian out there, and he used to be the head writer for Letterman. A lot of critics have been hating on the show, and granted, there are some flaws to it, but the fact is.. it makes me laugh. A lot. Sure, some people will say it's just a bunch of dick jokes. But I say.. I love dick jokes. And it's also an honest take on having a wife and kids, being broke, and failing to make a girl orgasm. Hmm, cum to think of it, I um, guess I don't relate to this show at all? Anyways, it reminds me of Roseanne, but way funnier/raunchier/vulgar-ier. So check out the following clips (which don't do the show justice cause marketing depts at networks suck), watch some Louis CK standup, and decide for yourself:
Lucky Louie clips
Louis CK on the Tonight Show
Louis CK on the Daily Show
Louis CK standup

Okay so this is gonna be a longer post than I thought. While I'm throwing YouTube clips your way, I should also point out these two that my buddy Trevor recently showed me (btw, i'll soon be posting an interview w/trevor and his troupe The Whitest Kids U'Know):
Local News Blunder
Funny DUI

Oh, also, check out this failed WB pilot that's gotten some buzz through YouTube. It's from Bill Lawrence (creator of Scrubs/one of my idols) and two writers from Family Guy. It's called Nobody's Watching, and you can watch it here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. The pilot uses the same sad music as Scrubs, probably just to save on costs, and also features a song used in a past Scrubs episode:
Nobody's Watching - "Pilot" and Scrubs - "My Bad"
"Camera One" - Josh Joplin Group

Speaking of pilots, some of you may have heard that FX was doing a promo in conjunction with their show It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, where viewers could submit their own pilots online for a chance to create their own show (at the moment, you can also download some free eps of It's Always Sunny on iTunes). Well, they've chosen the top 20 and you can vote for them on myspace. I still refuse to sign up for myspace. I'm not sure why. Anyways, I thought the end of "The Nacho Chronicles" was pretty funny, as well as "Good Cinema", and it was cool to see Jack McBrayer (Arrested Development) in "Peanut Hunt!".

Alrighty, I'm done. See you guys in two months... jk, I'm gonna post a lot this weekend, including "hanging out" aka brief run-in with Josh Schwartz, an update on the writing career, and my opinions on some of the upcoming fall shows. Stay tuned.

*EDIT: also, in a previous post, i was only able to find the streaming version of a song on Grey's, but i just found out it is this week's free iTunes song, so go and download here:
Grey's Anatomy - "Break On Through"
"Sailed On" - Landon Pigg

17 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Thanks for posting songs!!! Even though i dont watch entourage, I'm sure those songs are great!!!!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worship you. Write that show in your head and soundtrack that mutha OUT.
gracias, seriously. Keep it coming. Your taste is my tongue.

2:27 PM  
Blogger charissa said...

YES another post!
do you happen to have any of the songs from the ALIAS finale ?

6:40 PM  
Blogger mnr639 said...

Okay, yes, I have a like/hate relationship with Family Guy, but one thing that is beyond reproach is that clip where Stewie beats the crap out of Brian. I just wish I had been in the room where they brainstormed the idea for a sociopathic baby to beat up a talking dog. Is that genius? Bet your ass it is - right up there with Peter being raped during his Sweet 16 Party.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I'm going to ditto everyone else in the world on the love/hate thing for Family Guy. The Brian and Stewie clip was just hard for me to watch -- male humor, I guess?
But I'm glad you posted links to the South Park episode, as I missed it while away at college. It brings up a million legitimate points, and that's why I ultimately love South Park -- it may be preachy at times, but they're always fair. Trey and Matt may personally loathe Family Guy, but they still defend it. Which is nice, I suppose, if not a bit self-serving. :)
Thanks for the post! I love that you update me on the TV I'm missing, even if you're not posting tons of MP3s.

- Mel

1:14 AM  
Blogger flick said...

Perhaps before you go whining about a lack of comments, you should POST more than once a year. It's kind of hard to comment on NOTHING. Huh? HUH?

Sorry, I just missed you is all.

"You got money to pay for fake mustaches, huh?"

6:26 AM  
Anonymous kadanam said...

WOW again! WOW!!
You're AWESOME!!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Becca said...

You are completely awesome!
and i will comment in sickness and in health...because we love you!

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

I don't really have anything to say, so this is more a comment for the sake of commenting.

I hope you can post again soon with details on Josh Schwartz! Ooh and your thoughts on Marissa's death (and the campaign to get her back if you've heard of it).

Just an idea - what if you post songs from some older episodes of shows (random OC ones, and the Greys reruns ideally).

10:47 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

thanks for the comments guys!

charissa - i haven't watched the alias finale yet actually... so don't have the songs for that. i'll catch up over the summer tho..

mel - totally feel ya on south park.. they are always fair, and yeah ive found most of my girl friends dont like that stewie clip either, maybe it is male humor?

flick - when are you gonna visit?

kadanam, becca, jessica and anonymous - you are all completely awesome as well!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

oh jay, you are awesome too! sorry, didn't scroll up on the comment box and didnt see ya there!

mike... i ignored you on purpose. that's right bitch, where's my money?

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Raynp said...

Hey Captain!
I never thought to describe my take on the Family Guy as Love/Hate...I love it, that out-loud-grab-your-tummy laugh, is hard not to love, but I do admit it is a 'guilty' kind of a laugh.

And YES, I too have avoided the myspace sign up, and I actually came up with a defense for my own restraint, It's the lack of focus my page would have. It's cool if you're an artist or something like that, (I like to check out musicians on myspace) looking for exposure but I'd rather read a purposed blog like this one! Besides when I meet new folks I think normal communication would reveal anything I could communicate on a myspace page, and that's more interesting.

Thanks for the post, I'll check back soon.

raynp@aol.com

11:43 PM  
Anonymous sarah said...

Thanks for the summer tunes. How are things going in L.A.?

7:52 PM  
Anonymous nic said...

Have you seen the clip of MacFarane's speech at Harvard? He references the South Park dig. Basically saying that yeah, they have no plot and all the jokes are non-sequiturs. His goal is to be funny and "that is a shallow indulgence that south park is above." Great response.

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1695037/

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

So glad to see a new post; we've missed you!

Spaceballs is one of my all time favorites (along with History of the World). Mel Brooks is the man!

Love the tunes. I have an mp3 of the Landon Pigg tune, that I'll send you via email in case you'd like to post it for non-iTunes users like me!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

Captain Oats . . . A request, kind sir. The wonderful tune by Matt Pond PA ends prematurely -- at about 3 mins. 28 secs. Any chance you could repost it?

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

lol. of course we're married. I just happen to be screwing someone else rite now. ;)

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home