Thursday, October 26, 2006

nOCeriously, It's Back.

Welcome back to the OC, bitch! There's been some buzz in the blogosphere that the show is back to its Season One goodness.

You're thinking, 'Captain Oats, could this be true?' Hells to the yes, my friend, it is true. You may also be thinking, 'Captain Oats, aren't you a little too old to be seriously dissecting the OC?" True again, my friend. True again. But aren't you a little too old to be calling me Captain Oats? Snaps. Think on that. Ass.

And yes, I've just had a hypothetical fight with myself on the internet. I haven't had much sleep lately.

Okay. So, for those of you who don't want any spoilers about the first four episodes, here are my general thoughts:

- I could go for some Taco Bell right now.

- The show gets better with each episode. The strength of the show has always been its ability to balance drama and comedy, you know, since it's a dramedy. But last season, the drama got way out of hand. Fortunately, they've done their best to start clean slate. Unfortunately, they can't just erase Marissa completely, so they have to deal with the repercussions of her death, which I think they've done quite well. I think the further away they get from Marissa's death, the better it'll get. The fourth episode, "The Metamorphosis", is the best, and funniest, I've seen since Season One, and it definitely sets the stage for an interesting season. TV Guide's Ausiello seems to agree. (scroll down)

- Julie Cooper and Taylor Townsend steal the show so far. Melinda Clarke gives her best performances to date in these first four eps. And Autumn Reeser, well, we know how I feel about her. All she has to do is speak in a foreign language, and I'm in love (my count is four so far: English, Korean, French and Spanish). Brody's still awesome as usual, Bilson's hilarious as a tree-hugging environmentalist, and McKenzie got freaking ripped. Forget protein shakes, Marissa Cooper car accidents are the best way to get buff.

- FYI, that interview with Autumn is still happening, so leave some more questions for her here.

- Regarding the new characters: you don't need to worry about the OC: Next Gen crew. All the material with Kaitlin and Luke's younger twin brothers serves as comic relief, and it's a wonderful, light-hearted change of pace from all the death-drama. Che, Chris Pratt of Everwood fame, seems a bit much at first, but he grows on you over the episodes. Just wait til the naked guitar playing.

- I don't know why I decided to use bullet-points.

- I need to smoothly transition out of this.

- Hmm, almost there.

- Okay, I think I can do it now.

They are streaming the first episode early on MySpace, starting today, so definitely check it out! But not if you own a Nielsen box! In that case, wait until November 2nd! Seriously guys, let's give the show back some ratings love eh?

Well, I hope this has spurred you to add the OC to your Season Pass. You may be thinking, 'But I don't have a DVR' or 'I can only record one show', well I'm a problem-solver not a maker. Here's what you do: you watch the OC on Thursdays, and you can catch Grey's the next day online. Lord knows Grey's doesn't need the ratings right now. However, if push came to shove, I'd probably choose Grey's. But luckily, me and push are totally cool, so no shoving will take place.

Lastly, the bread and butter, here are the songs from the first ep:
(check out the tracklist for the upcoming soundtrack)

the OC - "The Avengers"
"Running Up That Hill" - Placebo (covering Kate Bush)
"Song for Sunshine" - Belle & Sebastian [buy album]
"Mr. Blue" - Catherine Feeney [buy album]
"Bad Dream" - Keane [buy album]
"Save Me" - Jude [buy album]
"The Bootleg Saint" - Sam Roberts [buy album]

I may be missing one song that was playing at the bar scene with Summer/Ryan. Let me know if you figure it out.

Anyways, if you want to know more about the first episode, click below. But warning, SPOILERS abound. If not, keep checking back this week, as I'll continue posting about the other three episodes individually. Leave a comment!

*EDIT: My MP3 server, EZArchive, is down for the next few days. I think they're revamping their system.. so that's why none of the song links work. I'll post the next episode preview as soon as everything's back up and running. Thanks in advance for being patient.

**EDIT: I've decided to switch to FileDen for the time being, so the above songs should work now. Not sure what's going on with EZArchive. Looks like once they update their servers, all the past mp3 links will not work. So. My apologies in advance.


EPISODE 401 - "The Avengers"
Overall, I'd give this episode a B+. There were lots of little things that either felt too slow or too serious, but considering one of the main characters just died, Josh and Co. did an amazing job mixing in moments of humor, and they displayed each characters' grieving process really well.

Don't wanna do a full recap here, so I'll just point out a few things.

First, the episode starts five months after Marissa's death, which I thought was a smart move. The episode also pulls a little J.J. Abrams-action by starting with a big teaser, then cutting back in time, here we go back 36 hours, before returning to the same point around the end of Act Two.

I absolutely love the fact that Taylor had to secretly return from France. Her phone conversation with Summer was definitely the best moment for me:
SUMMER: (into phone) Taylor? Oh my God.
TAYLOR: (into phone) I think you mean Mon Dieu, Summer.
SUMMER: How was Paris?
TAYLOR: (in French accent) Oooh, increible!

Also loved this bit between Seth and Summer:
SETH: I was being sarcastic.
SUMMER: I don't do sarcasm anymore, I'm post-ironic.
SETH: You mean earnest?

The Kate Bush cover by Placebo works really well as a theme throughout the episode, with the lyrics "and if I only could, I'd make a deal with God, and I'd get him to swap our places. Be running up that road, be running up that hill, be running up that building. Say, if I only could..."

My one big gripe was the Comic Book reveal at the end. It felt really cheesy. But at the same time, you can tell they went over-the-top on purpose. Sandy even refers to it with the "make a fool of ourselves" line to Ryan. Still, it was a bit much hearing Kirsten seriously recite the dialogue, "The ice queen was surrounded by an impenetrable force field. Her silver cell phone her only link to the outside world." I actually asked Josh about this recently, and he had a great explanation:

"...as for the comic book scene - yes, they know it's ridiculous (Ryan says "You made me a comic book?") And there's that Sandy line later. But they have no other way of communicating with him. And some people like the cheese... so if it works for them on a sentimental, let me relive the early years through graphic images kind of way then great. We've always been a little cheesy at times. If you don't buy it, that's fine too because the point is... it doesn't really work. They have the intervention - and yes Ryan seeing how much the Cohens miss/need him helps him decide to go back home. But he also decides to go see Julie, kick the shit out of Cagefighter guy and hunt down Volchok.

If he had just moved back home and been happy and the comic book intervention fixed everything that would be one thing. But it doesn't really work. Which gets us off the hook. (We had a scene with Kirsten and Sandy in the bathroom where they worry that this whole plan lies in the hands of Seth's Geek Squad - but we cut it for time...)

I also like using the first episode of a season to restate the premise of the show..."

Of course, you probably haven't seen this episode yet, so this makes no sense at the moment.

Check back tomorrow for the intel on Episode 402 - "The Gringos". I'll leave you with some more screencaps:

Though they didn't get much screentime, I'd like to see more of Leon and the other comic book nerd. Freaks and Geeks is my favorite show of all time, and it'd be great to have some similar geek storylines take center stage.


Che and Summer rocking out with the didgeridoo. I'd "didgeridoo" Summer anytime, if ya know what I mean. Talking 'bout sexual intercourse here.


Well, Mischa Barton has now been put into ghost form on the screen twice in her career: once as the vomiting girl in the Sixth Sense, and now here. Honestly, this was the other gripe of mine with this episode. Showing Marissa's ghost, whether purely in Summer's mind or not, definitely falls out of line with the tone of the show. Am I watching the Ghost Whisperer or the OC? Cause if it's the former, I didn't get the gratuitous Jennifer Love-Hewitt cleavage shots I was promised.


Julie Cooper. Fighting herpes one day at a time. Just kidding.... or am I?


Is it creepy that I've printed and framed this picture, placed it on my nightstand and have told everyone that this is my new girlfriend? I did not print and frame this picture, nor did I place it on my nightstand and tell everyone that this is my new girlfriend.
*edited due to fear of a restraining order... and adoration of this woman.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is The OC on myspace only available for people who live in America

6:59 AM  
Blogger Hawker said...

almost guranteed it is. all these shows that now show eps on the internet don't play here in canada. Yup. definitely not working. this thing is totally bogus. Moving on, Captain Oats, you catch the 24 teaser trailer. Is your mind blown or what. get excited all you like about the OC, but I'm gonna stay warm with jack's political prisoner super beard

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, it definitely ain't working for me, I'm also in canada. Do you think since the streams will be pretty low quality, and people will be seeing the episodes is there any chance that you could torrent the first episode as obviously the DVD copy has the best quality?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Kavina said...

that was an awesome awesome AWEsome read!! thanks very much for the spoilers and your views on this season.
as usual, it will be 500 years before season 4 airs in belgium (and i can't even stream any of the vids of Grey's or the O.C. bcos i live in this continent... sadness), by which time i shall probably own it on dvd so the spoilers are what i live on. silly, i know but it makes noticing all the little things a lot easier when watching it for real as well :)
thanks capt'n!!
kavina x

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oats, you've just catapulted yourself in my Favorite Person category. Holy cow. And I was planning on missing The OC this season!

I'll say more once I've watched this sweet, sweet episode...

- Mel

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i just watched the eppy and i bawled when they did the comic book intervention. the panel of seth and summer kissing and the little look from summer... you're a harder hearted person than i! i loved it. if it gets better than this, it's the best since season 1 definitely.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock, and your music is excellent, but I can't seem to download your latest batch of songs. Im getting a server error from it. Can you check this out? I am dying for the Kate Bush cover.
When you get your first show, I will be a huge fan. I can't imagine how amazing the music will be.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

hmmm, so I gave up on the OC mid season 2.... but your post makes me want to watch the first new episode. i love that marissa's gone though! and guh to that pic of ben mckinzie. verrrry nice. but first, i have to go read a recap of season three b/c i have no idea what's going on in the first episode lol.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome recap. I was sure I was going to give it up this season but now I think I'll give it another shot.

Oh and BTW something is wrong with the ezarchive server. I can't seem to access the songs which I'm dying to download

thanks

moku

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Jo said...

ezarchive is revamping there system and will be "temporarily turned off during the next 24 hours"

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all this! But I couldn't disagree more about the comic book scene. I thought that was one of the most touching scenes in the history of the show. It was simply amazing, in my opinion. Also, I thought Marissa's ghost was really effective. And judging by Summer's facial reaction, I got the impression that it wasn't Summer's first time seeing her.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Digeridoo summer? JLH's Cleavage? Stalking poor Autumn Reeser?? Get ahold of yourself, man! If you really do have a gf, you should be ashamed of yourself.

9:11 PM  
Blogger arrr, pirates said...

a) I was totally surprised at how high the quality was of the stream on myspace. I really was waiting to be dissapointed, but nope.
b) Loved the episode. Another pleasant surprise.
c) Also love the awkwardness between Seth and Summer. That was such a realistic scene, since obviously Summer still isn't over what happened, and the distance between the two of them is noticeable. Something that really happens a lot in college.

Overall, I'm super excited for this season. Thanks for the recap and pictures, Captain Oats.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous mona said...

HFILDAJFLKDAJ. fox full throttle is the devil. I just watched the four-minute preview, and read your non-spoilery post, and I'm really, really, really, really excited. and yet... nothing. no premiere. no workie. owwy. it hurts, Captain. make it stop.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

hi anon, unfortunately, yes.

hey hawker, i will def check out the 24 teaser trailer. i wish i could grow a beard.

hey anon, i unfortunately don't know how to rip this stuff into a torrent.. and even so.. i probably wouldn't.. but nov. 2 isn't too far off! does it air on nov. 2 in canada too?

hey kavina, you're welcome! sorry things get to belgium so late, at least you guys have waffles? i dunno, i know nothing about belgium. but i'm happy to be educated!

hey mel, woo, i love being a favorite person! glad you're sticking with the show!

hi anon, i'm glad you liked the comic book intervention! it wasn't my cup of tea.. but yes, trust me, it gets much much better, so i think you'll be very very happy.

hey anon, the songs should be up again.. thanks for the future support, from your lips to God's ears...

hi andrea, yeah a lot of people seemed to have given up around mid season two.. but i'm glad you're gonna check it out again! i'm telling you, just wait til the fourth ep... awesomeness.

hey moku, you're welcome! song links should be fixed.

hey jo, thanks for clearing that up.. i'd been meaning to let everyone know about that, but you took care of it! you rock my socks.

hey anon, i'm glad you liked the comic book scene... i can see how it'd be touching.. i do. but my cheese alert is extra sensitive these days... and re: the ghost, i think the point that it's making is cool.. that summer is having these issues getting over marissa's death... but actually showing a ghost? i dunno. there are precedents that shows create with their first few seasons on what the tone of the show will be... and i've always felt that the oc is set in reality... told from an objective pov.. not the pov of the characters.. say like Scrubs.. and to see a ghost from summer's pov felt off to me... i think if they kept that scene the same, and just took out the ghost, the same point would've been made.

hi anonymous, i am ashamed.

p.s. they're called jokes, and they're not meant to be taken seriously.

p.p.s. this is not the best forum in which to judge/critique my personal relationships. this is a blog where i spend hours discussing the oc for heaven's sake. lighten up. if you need a place to vent, please visit sonnyisajackass.blogspot.com.

hey arr pirates,
a) i have yet to check out the myspace stream, as i have a mac (so messed up it's only for windows), but i'm glad to hear the quality was good.

b) awesome.

c) i definitely loved that too.. and it only gets more realistic and touching in the following eps.. you'll love it.

hey mona, it'll stop hurting on nov. 2, promise.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

captain oats, you are awesome!! thanks for the recap and reposting the songs, i've been dying to hear them again after watching the epi...which was SO GOOD. no doubt favorite moment for me too was taylor in her french accent. classic!! but i read ausiello's post about whats gonna happen with her...oh my. am interested to see how that plays out...

again, you rock! woo hoo oc premier!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Jo said...

Someone of the Fox board said that "The Bootleg Saint" by Sam Roberts played in the pilot, but being Canadian I can't watch the ep to confirm this.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Kate L. said...

Looks like once they update their servers, all the past mp3 links will not work. So. My apologies in advance.

Woe! I'd been going back and downloading music as we made our way through s2 of Grey's - we just finished up, and now I'm musicless for the last six episodes. Effing EZArchive! :(

There was something else I was going to say, but I've forgotten. Clearly it was of utmost importance...

6:55 AM  
Blogger Pinball said...

just watched the first ep online at ctv(for all you canadians though you can't watch the myspace american version, ctv is streaming the first ep online at ctv.com or whatever) I thought it was really good. the comic book intervention was a bit cheese but ultimately worked. dissapointed with ryan returning to julie for volchek. The seth and summer interaction is hard to watch at this point. things will be getting worse before they get better. all in all good job.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ctv.ca

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Jo said...

"The Bootleg Saint" by Sam Roberts plays when Summer visits Ryan at work.
There is atleast one other song playing when Seth goes looking for Ryan at work then finds the fight club, which may repeat when Sandy drives Ryan to work (though you can barely hear it, so it's hard to tell).

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh I can't find freakin' ripped McKenzie!!! Why? Why me? Grrr tell the website to get fixed NOW so that I can see it!!! (By the way, LOVE the OC, can't wait until the now-famous FOURTH EPISODE...YAY!!!)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Bandwidth exceeded again? Aw. Any chance of fixing soon, or will they be back up tomorrow? I must have the Placebo cover... must!

Happy premiere day!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

Okay, I officially hate the new server! :-(

5:48 PM  
Anonymous noelle said...

i was really worried about the new season, but this post has calmed me down. i thought the placebo cover was an excellent excellent choice. thank you so much for your awesome blog..

whether or not i appreciate it due to my oc bias

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lee Na said...

captain oats....i've been reading your blog for a while now. i think u're hillarious! also, i can't seem to download any of the mp3s lately. bandwidth exceeded or something. this new server is not good.... and as you know, u're the only way we can get all those cool cool songs. help, captain oats!

ps: you rock!

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is the name of song playing during the montage (ryan winning his fight and then getting the folder from Julie) near the end of the show?

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was the Keane song "A Bad Dream"

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home