Thursday, December 07, 2006

Tunerrific Thursday

Sorry for the delay in posting, my friends. Thanks to Time Warner, my internet was out of commission for five days. Nice to know the $150/month is going towards top-notch customer service.

My writing partner and I are wrapping up work on three different projects before the holidays, so I promise things will pick up on the blog in the new year. What are we working on? Thank you for asking. We're finishing the final revisions on an independent movie we were hired to write earlier in the year, also in the process of developing a comedy feature with a major studio, and prepping for the upcoming tv staffing season. Busy times. If any of you readers need the services of two brilliant writers, holler at your boy (and by holler, I mean monetarily compensate).

Speaking of brilliant writing (you see that genius transition there, yeah, that's right, you hire us, you're getting your money's worth), there were some splendid episodes this past week. Let's do the rundown:

HIMYM: Nowhere near the hilarity of the prior week's "Robin Sparkles" episode, but still good nonetheless. The flashforward raises some interesting questions. My first reaction was to think that Robin and Ted are still together a year later, but since the episode's titled "Single Stamina," and the entire episode was about couples getting tired early, I would think Ted and Robin's "we're not tired at all" reply implies that they are not together a year later, but still close friends. Thoughts?

The Class: I had completely given up on this show. COMPLETELY. My girlfriend told me to watch two weeks ago, and I still wrote it off. HOWEVER. She told me to watch this past week's episode and promised goodness, and she does come through on her promises. The episode was surprisingly great! I actually laughed out loud! Multiple times! And it was oddly moving. Crazy, I know. If you don't believe me, check for yourself on Innertube. Click on 'All Shows', then 'Comedy', then 'The Class', and lastly 'The Class Runs into a Convenience Store.'

Veronica Mars: Okay, I admit. This recent episode was pretty awesome. But I ask you, did we really need all the shitty episodes to get here? This arc really should've been, at the most, three episodes. And it saddens me that we don't have an overaching mystery payoff to look forward to at the end of the season. Regardless, you guys were right, this episode was splendid.

30 Rock: This show has quietly developed into one of the funnier shows on TV, and hands down, the funniest new sitcom this year (which really isn't a compliment if you think about it). Alec Baldwin makes me laugh with every word, and Jack McBrayer is perfect as the Page. Of course, I may be biased, having been a former Page myself. But for those of you who may have given up early on the show (I'll be the first to admit that I wanted this show cancelled), definitely give this show another chance.

Scrubs: Oh Scrubs, how I missed thee. Definitely my favorite sitcom on air, I think this show best fits my type of humor. My writing partner and I were talking a while back about how much we love the Zucker brothers' movies: all the Naked Guns, Airplane, Hot Shots... you don't see that kind of humor as much anymore. But I think Scrubs is keeping the absurdist comedy alive, especially with their love for puns. My favorite exchange this episode:
TURK: "Yo Elliot, what's your ringtone?"
ELLIOT: "Jesus Take The Wheel by Carrie Underwood."
TODD: "I'm carrying underwood right now."

If you missed the episode, catch it online here.

Also, check out this clip from the upcoming musical episode! Oh, and they moved their blog to this site.

The Office: This was the highly anticipated Gervais-penned episode. And it did not disappoint. I think Ricky Gervais is a God among men, so I'm a bit biased, but I thought this was the best episode so far this season. Team Karen all the way! In it to win it!!

The OC: Josh Schwartz recently said in an email that "episodes 4 through 7 might be the best run [they've] ever had." He is absolutely correct. I take back what I said about "The Metamorphosis" being my favorite, because this past week's, "The Sleeping Beauty," was absolute perfection. I know some of you prefer the show as a drama, but you would be mistaken. The show works best when it doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm here for the comedy. And it definitely delivered with the funnies and the heart. Autumn Reeser for President, she exudes nothing but goodness into the show. (I promise that interview will happen eventually! So keep leaving questions!)

Anyway, make sure you check out "The Summer Bummer" tonight! Grey's is a re-run, so you have no excuse!!

And lastly, the tunes are below. Enjoy and leave a comment!

How I Met Your Mother - "Single Stamina"
"Skyway" - The Replacements [buy album]

Friday Night Lights - "Crossing The Line"
"Glittering Blackness" - Explosions in the Sky [buy album]
"Search and Destroy" - Iggy Pop & The Stooges [buy album]
"Dead Man's Will" - Iron & Wine/Calexico [buy album]

Veronica Mars - "Spit And Eggs"
"Right Here, Right Now" - Fatboy Slim [buy album]
""Sweet Caroline (live)" - The Diamond Smugglers (covering Neil Diamond)
"Have You Never Been Mellow" - Olivia Newton-John
"Thank The Lord For The Night Time" - The Diamond Smugglers (covering Neil Diamond)
*here's the original
"Can't Get Over You" - The Digbees

Scrubs - "My Mirror Image"
"Bye Bye Bye" - 'N Sync [buy album]
"Dancing Queen" - ABBA [buy album]
"Funky Cold Medina" - Tone Loc [buy album]
*another great line from Scrubs: "My brother was killed by a Funky Cold Medina."
"Be Yourself" - Audioslave [buy album]
"Here It Goes Again" - OK Go [buy album]

Grey's Anatomy - "Don't Stand So Close To Me"
"Sociopath" - Anya Marina [buy album]
*thanks to krissi for this week's songs!
"Show Me" - John Legend [buy album]
"World Waits For You" - Son Volt [buy album]

The OC - "The Sleeping Beauty"
"Gubbbish" - Chad VanGaalen [buy album]
*thanks to iva for most of this week's songs!
"Float On" - Goldspot (covering Modest Mouse) [buy album]
*thanks to hernan for this one!
"Waiting To Die" - Zero 7 [buy album]
"While You Were Sleeping" - Elvis Perkins
"Under the Sea" - Digby Jones [buy album]
"Need Music" - Ben Gidsjoy
"Without You" - Brothers and Sisters [buy album]
"Butterfly" - Tom Quick

32 Comments:

Anonymous megan said...

I was wondering about the Robin-Ted HIMYM thing too- I was getting more of a close friend vibe than a we're still going strong couple vibe.

Oh and The Class, Ive never watched more than about the first 2 minutes of that show, but it totally sucked me in for the full half last week. Pretty funny.

And last thing- you're a Team Karen guy? Really? I mean I actually like Karen, but I cant turn my back on Team Pam! Jam forever! (God I am such a huge dork)

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Wow 'The Summer Bummer' was most definately amazing. Josh is right about 4-7 being the best set (well 4-6 atleast, and 7 looks pretty damn good too).

Seriously it put the drama it there but kept it light and funny - like seriously laugh out loud funny. Ryan and Taylor are GOLD together, and this coming from a huge Ryan/Marissa fan.

I wish they'd bring Marissa back for the Chrismukkah episode, since it seems they're going for some crazy parallel universe, although I guess that would just upset Ryan.

But yeah I'm so excited for it!

Back to you Oats - thanks for the music!

I bought The OC Mix 6 off iTunes, and aside from the lack of Hallelujah it's pretty good. Do you by chance know the original artists/episodes for the songs?

I hope you post the new music (aka from tonights OC) asap!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Brad said...

Actually tonight's episode "The Summer Bummer" was the best so far this season. It was witty and a flashback to the first Season. I actually started to like Kaitlin tonight. (something I thought never possible)
The Chrismukkah episode looks great.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

I can't believe how awesome The O.C. is this year, and it just keeps getting better. I actually said "I love this show!" out loud during tonight's episode. That hasn't happened since season one.

Thanks for the songs!

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so good to have Scrubs back, and the funky cold medina line was great, but the pregnancy storyline?? and I haven't seen the office in 3 weeks so I'm not sure whether I'm team Karen or not. I'm leaning towards it though.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked VM's fall finale. Are you planning to watch the next mystery arc?

Thank you for the songs!

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Loved VM. Lots of fun. Relieved to have Scrubs back. HIMYM is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Can't get into the Class.

Good Luck with everything.

R

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Karen? Boo, you make me sad.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Team Karen?! *sigh* I kinda expected Jim to go for new things...but I miss Jam.

Thank goodness Scrubs is back. And HIMYM "Robin Sparkles" episode is the best HIMYM ep I've seen so far.

Anywhoo, thank you for the song updates! Greatly appreciated, as usual.

10:33 AM  
Blogger NYOne said...

Hey there! Thanks as always for the tunage. And not that you need it, but another reason why Time Warner Cable sucks: the DVR is just lame. I can't figure out how to tell it to record the OC on Thursdays and wait to record Grey's on Fri. There are not enough Series Recording Options. Or maybe I am just dumb.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Willemijn said...

Gosh I love this new OC season. I'm glad you do too, 'cause the complainers freak me out. I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ryan and Taylor. Taylor just cracks me up in every episode. Oh, and you're so right, the show should stay more funny than dramatic, like it was in season 1.

I'm not sure who's team I'm on. I think I'm still part of Team Pam, although I love Karen too. I can't just turn my back on Team Pam, can I? There's a history there. Anyway. Thanks for the songs. Whatya think of the new OC? Hilarious!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Julius said...

Jessica,

Here are the original artists for the covers featured in the OC Mix 6:

1. Float On -- Goldspot (Modest Mouse)
2. I Turn My Camera On -- Rock Kills Kid
3. Pretty Vacant -- Lady Sovereign
4. California -- Mates Of State (Phantom Planet)
5. Wasted -- Pinback (Black Flag)
6. Can't Get It Out Of My Head -- John Paul White
7. Debaser -- Rogue Wave (Pixies)
8. Hello Sunshine -- Syd Matters (Super Furry Animals)
9. Smile Like You Mean It -- Tally Hall (The Killers)
10. Come Into Our Room -- The M's (Clinic)
11. The End's Not Near -- Band Of Horses (The New Year)
12. Into Dust -- Ashtar Command (Mazzy Star)

I missed three songs (#s 2,3,6), maybe somebody else might know.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

Reviews and tunage! Can my Friday get any better?? Well, okay . . . Maybe a coupla million dollars might help, but other than that, this posting just rocked my socks!

See?!?! I told you that VM was starting to get better! :-)

I'm so glad you reviewed 30 Rock. I'm one of those people that watched three eppies and said, "Noooo More!" In fact, the only reason I lasted three eps is because I love Alec Baldwin. Due to your review, I will give it another shot.

I am so glad Scrubs is back; I've really missed that show. Can't wait for the musical episode. Here's a taste if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF6rSGfUdyg.

Thanks again for all the news, Cap't. I send you five virtual popcorn buckets!!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Oatsy,

Any chance of a "For the Love of The OC Friday"? Aka I'm hoping for the OC music soon!

Julius,

Thanks so much for the info! Do you (or anyone else) happen to know the original episodes for songs 2,3,5,6, and 7?

~Jessica

8:06 PM  
Anonymous jayne said...

Ugh. Freaking Time Warner. They overcharged me for something, and 3 months later I'm still waiting for the refund.

I definitely agree with you about The Class. It's usually just okay, but I think the convenience store episode is the best one so far.

As for HIMYM, I think Robin and Ted have broken up as well. When they were asked if they were staying, they each answered "I'm staying" rather than "We're staying," which I thought further implied that they were no longer a couple.

Anyway, thanks for the music!

3:39 AM  
Blogger Julius said...

Jessica,

Song # 2 was in season 2, episode 21 (it was sung by Spoon originally)

Song #5 was in season 3, episode 14

Song #7 was in season 2, episode 16

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the tunes! Can't wait for the music from "The Summer Bummer" - what an awesome ep!!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Willemijn said...

#3. Pretty Vacant is originally by the Sex Pistols,
#6. I Can't Get It Out Of My Head is originally by ELO.

hope that helps.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tuneage!

I'm so glad that the O.C. is BACK after a 2 year lull. =)

Thanks again!

3:16 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

thanks so much for the tunes!! is there any way we can get the robin sparkles song? let's go to the mall TODAY!

omg. and slapbet? dude, best episode of HIMYM EVER. so much goodness. :)

7:15 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

ah, just found it. you are the best! :)

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the music, tell us more about your progress with those scripts

12:00 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

I'm never going to sleep, I'm never going to sleep....

I'm so mad I missed last week's OC...the fact that I'm mad shows how the show is back. I wouldn't have cared a year ago!

Thanks for the music posts!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Hey I totally enjoy your ramblings about the different TV shows. Nice to see that there are people out there who like the new season of the OC as much as me. So just one question. Did you gave up on Nip/Tuck? Did you ever watch it???

Looking forward to your next post

8:23 AM  
Anonymous raynp said...

...Totally off any subject going on here...but is anyone else intrigued the slightest bit by the new comedy promos for the show about robbing Mick Jagger??

First I thought..."Good Lord"...followed by "wait this might be funny"! Ithink it will air on a cable network.

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freaking Blogger won't let me post comments til I switch to beta, but did you see that your blog got a shoutout this week in USA Today's Pop Candy? That's awesome!

--Swishy (swishygirl.blogspot.com)

12:23 PM  
Anonymous GMMR said...

TEAM KAREN?! And here I thought we were friends.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually converted to Team Karen but the Christmas episode made me forget all about her. JAM 4EVA!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for posting that song by Brothers and Sisters. I have looked everwhere for it since I heard it on the show. I just found their music on itunes and am going to buy all their songs.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sonny,
Cheers on the writing front:-) I love the Zucker Bros. stuff, too.
Scrubs is great, I totally agree. I recently watched the first four seasons on dvd in a marathon of sorts and couldn't get enough. The quality that the show has maintained is almost unreal. There are really no dips, just some shows a bit sharper than others, but all episodes worthy. Classic.
Hope you're doing well!
Scribe
www.scribela.blogspot.com

10:21 PM  
Blogger aa said...

live119|live119論壇|
潤滑液|內衣|性感內衣|自慰器|
自慰套|情趣內衣|
G點|性感丁字褲|吊帶襪|
煙火批發|煙火|情趣用品|SM|充氣娃娃|AV|情趣|
衣蝶|丁字褲|無線跳蛋|性感睡衣|
按摩棒|電動按摩棒|飛機杯|自慰套|
角色扮演|跳蛋|情趣跳蛋|

12:42 AM  
Blogger Zheng junxai5 said...

zhengjx20160512
supra for sale
michael kors outlet clearance
coach outlet
hollister clothing store
coach outlet online
kobe 8
louis vuitton outlet online
ralph lauren outlet
jordan retro 13
air jordan 4
oakley sunglasses
nfl jerseys
louis vuitton outlet online
michael kors outlet
nike store
louis vuitton handbags
rolex watches
coach outlet
cheap oakleys
kobe 10
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
retro 11
nike air max uk
ray ban sunglasses outlet
oakley canada
michael kors outlet online sale
burberry outlet online
coach outlet store
louis vuitton outlet
ray bans
ray ban sunglasses uk
christian louboutin shoes
cheap ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet store online
oakley outlet
replica rolex watches
adidas uk
coach outlet store
louboutin shoes

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home