Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Tunerrific Tuesday

Hi all, hope your holidays have been mighty merry.

I've moved every 3-4 years of my life, so coming home usually means wishing I had old friends to meet up with and watching an unhealthy amount of movies and TV in a room I've never really lived in. In short, it's not that much different than LA.

One side note, have you guys been to a suburban mall recently? Maybe I'm turning into an old man, but what the hell has happened to the youth of America? A part of me died today at Woodfield Shopping Center. Youth, you may respond in the comments.

Speaking of scary futures, go watch Children of Men (B+) in your nearest theater now! Check out the trailer here. And while you're checking out trailers, also click on Reign Over Me, looks pretty sweet, and Pearl Jam covering The Who at the end is even sweeter.

Anyway, I've spent the last two days on a Friday Night Lights marathon, and sweet heavenly hosts, you MUST watch this show. It is, hands down, the best new drama this season. I usually hate movies/shows about sports, but this show is about so much more than football. NBC has all the episodes online for streaming (until mid-Jan), so catch up now!!

Not much else going on TV-wise, I really loved all the recent OC's, and the Christmas episode of The Office was hilarious as usual. For Christmas, my awesome sister got me an Office mug and "The World of Karl Pilkington".. which all fans of the original Office/Ricky Gervais should pick up. It's basically Gervais' podcasts word-for-word, but they are glorious goodness in print form as well, complete with illustrations. Thanks Jin!

While I'm thanking people for presents, I'd like to continue by saying thanks to Josh Schwartz for The OC Mix 6: Covering Our Tracks, my girlfriend for my very own Captain Oats (the exact same model), and my parents for a Macbook! You all rock my Christmas socks!

Most importantly, thanks to YOU READERS for all the Silly Pipe Dreams love this past year. I'll be ratcheting up on the posts in '07, with a new contributor to the blog, Princess Sparkle, and some more regular features in addition to Musical Mondays. Check back in the next week though for potential "Favorite Songs of '06" and "The Year in Concerts" posts!

Click below for the tunes and leave some lovin'!
How I Met Your Mother - "How Lily Stole Christmas"
"Back Door Santa" - Clarence Carter [buy album]
"The Nutcracker: Overture" - Tchaikovsky [buy album]
"The Nutcracker: Waltz of the Flowers" - Tchaikovsky [buy album]
"The Nutcracker: Trepak (Russian Dance)" - Tchaikovsky [buy album]
"The Nutcracker: Dance of the Mirlitons" - Tchaikovsky [buy album]
"The Nutcracker: Pas de Deux" - Tchaikovsky [buy album]
"The Nutcracker: Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy" - Tchaikovsky [buy album]
*thank my amazing gf, mary, for these nutcracker tracks!

Friday Night Lights - "It's Different For Girls"
"Storm" - Jose Gonzalez [buy album]
"Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [buy album]

Scrubs - "My Coffee"
"All In All" - Lifehouse [buy album]

The Office - "A Benihana Christmas"
"Goodbye My Lover" - James Blunt [buy album]
*as if it wasn't that hard to do already, click here to never take a James Blunt song seriously ever again

The OC - "The Summer Bummer"
"Hot Girls In Good Moods" - Butch Walker [buy album]
"Daisychains" - Youth Group [buy album]
"Good Clean Fun" - Clearlake [buy album]
"Deadwood" - Dirty Pretty Things [buy album]
"Under The Sea" - Digby Jones [buy album]
"Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" - Jet [buy album]
"Inside Your Head" - Eberg [buy album]
"Stay Put!" - The Blood Arm

The OC - "The Chrismukk-huh?"
"California" - Mates of State (covering Phantom Planet) [buy album]
"Paranoid Android" - Sia (covering Radiohead) [buy album]
"Into Dust" - Ashtar Command (covering Mazzy Star) [buy album]

The OC - "The Earth Girls Are Easy"
"Warung Beach" - John Digweed [buy album]
"Smile Like You Mean It" - Tally Hall (covering the Killers) [buy album]
"Dogzilla" - Dogzilla [buy album]
"Something for Cat" - Henry Mancini [buy album]
"Desafinado" - Si Zentner [buy album]

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!! THANK YOU so much! you are seriously a life savor! I love the music you put up here. I have been dying to know the OC tuness. THanks a lot and I hope you had a good Xmas!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous abyss said...

Ohh sweeet! :D
Thanks a lot!

btw your very own Captain Oats is awesome! ;)

1:38 AM  
Anonymous pancakes said...

Heyyyy thanks for another amazing post ;D

I simply love you Captain Oats, can you tell me where you can buy it?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I've been dying to find that cover of Paranoid Android. Happy and Healthy holidays to you!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, thank you very much.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Fellowfan said...

I visit all the time, but I figured at this time of year, at least, I should take a moment and say thanks, not only for the great music, but for the interesting perspective you bring to the world of young Hollywood.

And I'm thrilled to see another FNL fan on board! It's the best new show of the season.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Friday Night Lights but I saw the movie and can see how it would quite compelling as a series.
I'm just taking Storm cuz I'm all about the Jose,
Happy New Year,

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should do a top 10 list for tv shows as well -- best new drama, funniest new show, best comeback, biggest slump, etc. i'd love to see a SillyPipeDreams flexing his blogger muscles and getting some lists out there. Best New Drama is definitely FNL. funniest show - HIMYM or OFFICE? ooh tough one. Biggest Comeback - OC. Biggest Slump - Vmars?

3:16 PM  
Blogger sweetpea said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one without friends to see around the holidays. My parents moved when I was in college, so I don't know anyone at "home" except my family. I always end up watching a ridiculous amount of television and movies as well.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

Pre-Happy New Year Wishes, Cap't and thanks ever so much for the tunage!! My socks (and shoes) are officially rocked!!

As for America's youth, I just stay away from the malls . . . It's all too depressing (or else I'm just getting old).

And just because you said it's awesome, I will check out Friday Night Lights!

Take care!!

10:09 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

thanks for the music!

For fellow FNL fans...Bravo is running a marathon on Saturday from 9am-6pm EST. I missed a couple so far, but it is defnitely the best new drama!!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Willemijn said...

Yay! more OC tunes! Thanks so much for that. Late Merry Christmas to you too, and an early Happy New Year! Should be a good one. Oc and the Office are both making me very happy these days. I think the holidays call for an OC marathon. Thanks again for the songs, it's very much appreciated.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Thank you again!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alan sepinwall's top 10 lists. let's see yours:

Returning Shows
"The Wire"
"The Shield"
"The Office"
"Battlestar Galactica"
"Deadwood"
"The Sopranos"
"How I Met Your Mother"
"The O.C." (season four only)
"24"
A tie between "Scrubs," "House" and "Grey's Anatomy"

New shows
"Friday Night Lights"
"Dexter"
Stephen Colbert at the White House correspondents dinner
"30 Rock"
A tie between "Country Boys" and "When the Levees Broke"
"Doctor Who"
"Heroes"
"Kidnapped"
"Broken Trail"
"The Loop"

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Erica said...

Glad you had a good Christmas! I hope 2007 brings us readers more Silly goodness, and hopefully stories about you getting staffed. And optioned. And loved by all.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Thanks for the songs!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy New Year! May we all have a better year! And more great tunes!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

I can totally relate to the moving every 3 or 4 years and going "home" for the holidays to a place Ive never been before. And I too got sucked into Friday Night Lights due to the marathon... which is weird because in my 4 years of high school I did not go to a single football game.

Happy New Year!

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the awesome music!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home