Sunday, February 25, 2007

Grab My Long Golden Statue...Predictions

I'm a sucker for awards shows.

I'm not sure why, they're usually ridiculously boring. Yet, I'm always there in front of my television like a Coked-up four year old (the soda not the drug, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a coked-up four year old in LA), with all my snacks prepared and my ballot completed. Anyway, do please join me in my eager anticipation and print out your own ballot here.

These picks probably won't win you any money in a pool. In fact, I went with different choices in other pools I've entered, but I decided to go a little risky on Silly Pipe Dreams. I know, I'm just a crazy, livin'-on-the-edge kind of guy. Please note that these are not necessarily the nominations that I think should win. Leave a comment with your own predictions!!

PICTURE: The Departed
Little Miss Sunshine or Babel could easily win as well, but I'm gonna stick with the Scorsese sentiment and star power of The Departed.

DIRECTOR: Martin Scorsese
This is the year.

ACTOR: Peter O'Toole
I know, I know. I'm a huge O'Toole for not picking Forest Whitaker. He's won every other award out there, including the Pulitzer and the Nobel Prize. I may regret this decision, but I think an upset is in the works.

ACTRESS: Helen Mirren
The only pick I'd bet my life on.

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Alan Arkin
The safe bet would be Eddie Murphy. He won the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards, so I'm probably gonna regret this choice later.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Jennifer Hudson
99% sure with this one.

Click below for my full predictions.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Little Miss Sunshine
Kinda worried about Babel.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: The Departed
For suresies.

ANIMATED FEATURE: Cars

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: Pan's Labyrinth
Just watched Pan's recently, and I freaking loved it.

ART DIRECTION: Dreamgirls

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Children of Men
Have you seen this movie?? It kills the competition. Please let this win. The movie's been unjustly shunned all year.

COSTUME DESIGN: Marie Antoinette
Worried about Dreamgirls here.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: An Inconvenient Truth

DOCUMENTARY SHORT: Two Hands
Going with EW's pick here because I have no idea. But judging by its synopsis, it sounds like a winner to me.

FILM EDITING: United 93
Babel seems like the better choice, but I think United 93 will get this as consolation for getting shut out everywhere else.

MAKEUP: Pan's Labyrinth
Just look at that picture ---->
I think it should win. And how is Click nominated for anything???

VISUAL EFFECTS: Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest
It kind of hurts my soul that this awful movie is even a choice.

ORIGINAL SCORE: The Queen
I think Babel has a chance here, but The Queen won at the Golden Globes.

ORIGINAL SONG: "Listen" (Dreamgirls)
Whoever wins, I think Three 6 Mafia should go up again to receive the award.

ANIMATED SHORT: The Little Matchgirl
Thanks to the beauty of YouTube, I can, for once in my life, make an educated choice with this category.

LIVE ACTION SHORT: Eramos Pocos
You can watch it here.

SOUND EDITING: Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest
My heart aches.

SOUND MIXING: Dreamgirls
It's a musical. It will win.

10 Comments:

Anonymous megan said...

I too am a sucker for award shows.

And I agree that the cinematography in Children of Men was amazing. That one long shot at the end when they are in the refugee camp is one of the coolest things I have ever seen on film.

And yeah I think its finally Scorsese's year. I mean Eastwood can't upset again right?

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Rae said...

I'm a sucker for Awards shows too. Sad part is, this year I've only seen 2 or 3 of the movies nominated. I neglected my love for cinema this year T.T.
Ah well. I'm still giddy like a little schoolgirl waiting for the upcoming Oscars. THE best Awards Show ever.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

To Rae, you can still see some of the nominated movies on peekvid.com, depending on your ethics concerning pirated movies.

Anyway, I think your predictions are good, I agreed with many if not most though I'm not sure they'll win them tonight.

I was hoping you could track down the last song from the most recent Greys Anatomy episode, it's by Unkle Bob called "Swans" and I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous raynp said...

Love all the awards shows too. Some parts are boring but I can't live with myself if I missing something funny (like the Will Ferrel song in the beginning...that was a hoot).

I hoping for Sunshine or Departed to win for Best Picture!!! And I'm rooting 4 Martins for directing.

But now for sure I think I have to see Pan's Labyrinth!!

Later :-)

8:14 PM  
Anonymous raynp said...

Oh yeah I forgot, I'm "Coked" out myself (the cola also) but with my favorite new snack! Dry corn Chex mixed with dark chocolate m&m's....it rocks like Three 6 Mafia at the Oscars.

But Jennifer Hudson is performing now and I think the girls are dangerously close to spilling out! yikes!

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You got most of them right! They look pretty much all reight but i'm not sure. Well done, High Five.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Jack Sparrow said...

Just because 'Pirates' is popular doesn't make you more legit, informed, or artsy to hate on it, mate. It's just bloody fun, savvy?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Dear Jack,
I loved you in the first Pirates. Absolutely LOVED the movie. So matey, don't assume I'm being pretentious just because Pirates 2 was "popular" or un-"artsy." I'm usually a fan of summer blockbusters. I'm not a fan of Pirates 2 because the movie sucked, period. You were still fun to watch though. Please make sure the third one doesn't suck so hard. Thanks.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice call on the Alan Arkin win. Although, seriously, does anyone really like the fact that Jeniffer Hudson won? Even my mom was all about Olive winning :)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Zuberr Nowrung said...

"Grab my long Golden statue"
Careful with that line, some ppl may thing bout something else lol

Zuberr from The Mind and Its Education

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home