Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tunerrific Tuesday

Hi friends. Let's not dilly-dally, here we go (nothing hotter than a 25 year old male using the vernacular of a 75 year old woman)...

HIMYM: I'm all about creative writing with the misdirections, backwards-building plots and clever flashbacks. But the "Lucky Penny" episode was a bit much. Nonetheless, still a decent episode (B). Enjoyed the training montage shout-out to every 80's movie ever. The ending left us with the big question: will we get to finally see "the mother" in the next episode?

The answer: no. The next episode, "Stuff," didn't even address it. I thought this one was a bit weak (B-), but again, it's hard not to at least moderately enjoy this show because of the cast. The best part of the episode was the callback to the "Slap Bet." And very clever using the song, "I Wanna Be Your Dog." Don't want to spoil anything for those who still have it on the DVR, but I really wish the episode would've ended the way it seemed to have been heading prior to the little twist.

The Class: Another two funny episodes with "The Class Has A Snow Day" and "The Class Springs A Leak" (B). I think that's four in a row now? I may have to go out on a limb and support this show. Again, catch up on Innertube. This latest episode was actually pretty emotionally-satisfying as well.

Heroes and Lost: I have not watched either since their return from hiatus. Tell me how much I'm missing out in the comments and urge me to catch up. Also note, next week after Heroes, The Black Donnellys will be replacing Studio 60's spot. I'm intrigued by this show. I am generally wary of all things Paul Haggis, but he didn't write this, only directed, so I'll keep an open mind. Looks kind of like the TV version of The Departed (A+).
*UPDATE: You can watch The Black Donnellys pilot here.

Veronica Mars: I just watched "Poughkeepsie, Tramps and Thieves." And though it was an episode that took its hooker plot way too seriously, I still kinda liked it (B). I dunno though, something's still missing from this season. Is it just me? Am I just longing for the past? I have a tendency to do that in life. Oh, how I miss velcro shoes...

Friday Night Lights: I've noticed in the comments that the FNL Fandom is growing. Nice, very nice. Welcome, new viewers, make yourselves comfortable. Would you like something to drink? Soda, some OJ, Yoohoo? Anything to keep you guys here. Because this show deserves dedicated viewership from all of you.

Another amazing episode with "Black Eyes and Broken Hearts" (A). This show does such an incredible job delving into family dynamics. The Taylor family drama this past week was really well written and acted. Especially the scene when Coach Taylor walks into his wife's office for advice. "The three of you scare me," great line. And of course, the ending with Matt and Julie had me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Alright, so we're all gonna watch this week right? Cool. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!!! Wow, I am going to be single for a long time.

Grey's: Just caught up on the past two episodes, (A-) and (B+) respectively. And yeah, I did not see that coming. As many articles have noted, Shonda's going down the Magnum P.I./St. Elsewhere/Sopranos road here, but the ending just seems too far of a departure from the general tone of the show. I mean, Grey's is fairly grounded in "reality," and watching Meredith in "limbo land" does not sit well with me.

And we all know that Meredith's not going to die. Her name's in the show title for crying out loud.

That being said, I REALLY enjoyed most of the two-parter. That scene when Alex has to tell the husband about his dead pregnant wife? Tears. Lots of them. Good thing I watch these episodes in my room alone. And Patrick Dempsey's performance? Damn convincing.

But all my enjoyment came to a screeching halt with the "I Believe" speech.
a) I cannot take a person seriously when they start ten consecutive sentences with "I believe..."
b) "I believe Denny is always with me..."?? That's what Izzie's thinking about when one of her best friends is dying a mere four feet down the hall???
c) Was that really the best time and place to tell your other best friend that he married the wrong woman?
d) ...I got nothing. I just like the letter 'd.'

It was pretty cool to see Kyle Chandler/Coach Taylor fly up all the way from Texas during the Dylan Panthers' playoff season for a quick cameo in the "afterlife." Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!! Seriously, watch Friday Night Lights.


The Office: The eagerly-awaited-by-nerds-everywhere episode directed by Joss Whedon. And it was the most touching Office episode to date (A-). I was surprisingly moved by the ending.

The set-up was so simple and well-executed. They had us shaking our heads at Michael all episode (loved the Dead Poet's Society (A) allusion, as Michael ripped out pages from an Econ textbook). Then, when we all expected Jim to come waltzing in as Pam's knight in shining armor at the end, they bring in Michael, who, by simply being himself and completely unaware, ends up doing the sweetest thing possible for Pam. Loved it.

Some favorite scenes...
Michael: What's the most inspiring thing I ever said to you?
Dwight: "Don't be an idiot." Changed my life.
Cut to Dwight's interview.
Dwight: "Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do NOT do that thing.

Kelly: Don't hurt that bat, Creed! It's a living thing with feelings and a family!
The bat escapes and flies at her.
Kelly: Kill it! Kill it! Kill it!!

I believe next week is the J.J. Abrams episode? Wonder if they'll start the episode mid-story and jump-cut a few days prior like Abrams always does.


30 Rock: If I had to rank my favorite on-air sitcoms by the number of LOL's alone, 30 Rock would be at the very top. Another hee-larious episode here with "The C Word" (B+). And we got a Rip Torn cameo! His DUI mug shot still haunts me at night...

Sure, the whole "C-word" story has been done before (HIMYM earlier this season, Curb Your Enthusiasm), but this episode still offered some great lines:

Tracy: "Yeah, I don't have a daughter."
Jack: "Let's have a casting session on Monday."

Liz: "Hey look everybody, Sherlock Homo is here to solve the case of the gay sweater."

Jack: "God, it's like dating Katie Couric all over again."

Liz: "You do NOT cross a Sugarbaker woman!"

The OC: I was two episodes behind, so I'll try to keep this short. Enjoyed "The Shake Up" (B), the ending with Ryan and Taylor was really endearing.

Next, "The Night Moves." This episode boasted some of the best music ever. I never would've imagined when I first listened to Amnesiac that a teen dramedy would someday use one of its tracks. But lo and behold, we have "Like Spinning Plates" on The OC. Also tack on some Silversun Pickups, Bloc Party, Sufjan, an awesome cover of an already awesome song, and what do you get? You get an eargasm. A delightful, 45-minute eargasm.

The episode title alone brought me back to the good old days when Julie was getting drunk at home while listening to Bob Seger and banging an underage boy who dated her daughter. Here I go longing for the past again. Anyway, it was nice to see Seth be somewhat active again. It was nice to hear all the old episode allusions (Luke, Johnny, Trey, Jimmy, etc). Overall, that's what this episode was... it was nice. Not the best episode ever, but "The Night Moves" was a great way to reflect on seasons past (B+).

I'm gonna miss this show a lot, a proper goodbye will be in order later this week.


Alright, you guys know what to do now. Click below for the tunes, if you like what you hear, buy the album through the links, and most importantly, leave a comment!

How I Met Your Mother - "Lucky Penny"
"Nine Words" - Oppenheimer [buy album]

How I Met Your Mother - "Stuff"
"I Wanna Be Your Dog" - Iggy Pop & The Stooges [buy album]

Veronica Mars - "Postgame Mortem"
"Too Much To Ask For" - Radio 4 [buy album]
"White Balloons" - Stephen Ashbrook
*MySpace link
"What's Left Of Me" - Nick Lachey
*Hopefully this if the first and last time you see the name, Nick Lachey, on this blog. Well, until next week, when Nick will be guest-blogging Musical Monday.

Friday Night Lights - "Black Eyes & Broken Hearts"
"The Right Thing" - Prophet Omega [buy album]
"The Only Moment We Wore Alone" - Explosions In The Sky [buy album]

Grey's Anatomy - "Walk On Water"
"The Hop" - Radio Citizen (feat. Bajka) [buy album]
"Liar" - 8MM [buy album]
"Make This Go On Forever" - Snow Patrol [buy album]
"Opposite Direction" - Union of Knives

Grey's Anatomy - "Drowning On Dry Land"
"The Great Escape" - Patrick Watson [buy album]
"A Bitter Song" - Butterfly Boucher
"Timeless" - Kate Havnevik

Scrubs - "My Road To Nowhere"
"Hands Of Time" - Ron Sexsmith [buy album]

Scrubs - "My Perspective"
"Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run)" - Billy Ocean [buy album]
"I Summon You" - Spoon [buy album]

The OC - "The Shake Up"
"I Still Remember" - Bloc Party [buy album]
"Broken In All The Right Places" - I Am Jen [buy album]
"Debaser" - Rogue Wave (covering Pixies) [buy album]
"What Were The Chances" - Damien Jurado [buy album]
"The Sad Song" - Fredo Viola

The OC - "The Night Moves"
"I Turn My Camera On" - Rock Kills Kid (covering Spoon) [buy album]
"The Incarnation" - Sufjan Stevens [buy album]
"Rusted Wheel" - Silversun Pickups [buy album]
"Kreuzberg" - Bloc Party [buy album]
"Like Spinning Plates" - Radiohead

31 Comments:

Anonymous Winnie said...

AHH, I am so in love with Friday Night Lights. Glad I followed your advice to watch it. :)

Matt and Julie make me so very happy.

Btw, thanks for the Explosions In The Sky mp3s!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous K said...

Thanks, captain oats, especially for some of the OC/GA songs that have been hard to find! It's been a good tv week:).

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the songs ! theyre really cool. u didnt miss much with lost, all that happened was that sawyer n kate got off the island in a boat, jack finished the surgery and the next episode all we found out is that desmond can see the future. and he sees that charlie is gonna die... nothing very interesting

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so great! Thanx a lot and even more!

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

Love Friday Night Lights and seeing Kyle Chandler on Grey's again made my heart pitter patter.

As for Lizzie's speech, I've come to expect her to run off at the mouth like that. However, I think she was telling George that she's come to accept the relationship so they can get past it. "I believe even though you made this mistake, you'll be okay." *shrug* Who knows.

Thanks for the songs.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous megan said...

Grey's: I have to disagree with you on these last 2 episodes. I thought the first of the ferry boat disaster episodes was one possibly the slowest, most unrealistic/ emotionally hollow episodes of Grey's ever. And believe me I have never before used the phrase "emotionally hollow" about a Grey's ep as it ususally has me laughing and crying (sometimes simultaneously!)throughout the whole episode. But I just don't think that they do big, over-the-top disaster melodrama well. I prefer when the writers stick to the inter-personal dramas and balance out the heavy moments with the lighter ones.
Anyways I could go on, but I'll spare you.

The second episode was better. Though like you I was seriously annoyed by the Izzie speech.
Oh, and since I too am a recent convert to the greatness of Friday Night Lights I loved seeing Kyle Chandler pop up (of course now he will foreverbe Coach Taylor to me). I was all "Awwwww, remember when Coach Taylor shared a moment with Meredith, and he was so cute, and then he blew up."
Oh and my prediction: I say Meredith lives and her mom dies in the next episode.

FNL: So glad Ive gotten hooked on this show. Its freaking great. And Coach Taylor's wife is awesome. She cracks me up.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Mo Diggs said...

I'm saying this cuz I love you: please watch Lost. Just trust me. I'm sick and I feel like writing this is enough effort but trust me it is on the up and up.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Willemijn said...

I wasn't crazy about this weeks' OC. It seemed to be building up to something and ending in nothing but smoke. Lost, however, was just AMAZING!! PLEASE watch it, I have been looking forward to your feedback on the episodes since it started again... It's worth it, I'm telling you!

10:35 AM  
Blogger NYOne said...

Hey there!
You are totally right that something is missing from VM this season. The first season was just so consistent and well structured, I don't think they can ever match it. I just hope if it ends this year, they know in time to wrap it up cleanly. It deserves that much.
I too am wary of the Black Donnellys, but something has to stop me from watching Studio 60 as I don't seem to be capable of stoping myself. And yet every episode has me frothing at the TV in a rage.
Agree on Grey's. Coach Taylor was so PRETTY as Dylan! But, Shut Up Izzie.
Thanks as always for the music. My Party Shuffle is loaded up with some wonderfully depressing songs and you know how happy that makes me. ;-)

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been a fan of your blog for some time now... I have to say, I loved the Grey's anatomy. I am glad I watched it in my room alone because there were def. tears. When Meredith fell over I just kept repeating to myself no... no... no... I admit the dream thing/ limbo at the end was a bit much but I am interested to see where they go from here.

11:33 AM  
Blogger NewsGuyNY said...

Is JJ (i.e. my hero) really directing an office episode? Awesome!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous abyss said...

RIP The OC... :*(

Thanks for the music!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Winnie,
Glad you started watching! Explosions in the Sky really fits the look of this show well...

Hi K,
You're welcome!

Hello Anon 6:34,
You're welcome for the songs. I'm gonna try not to read the rest of your comment because I still plan on watching the past episodes. =)

Hi Anon 7:20,
YOU are great.

Hey Anon 7:27,
Woo, another FNL fan! Yes!

I get the motivation behind Lizzie's comments to George... but come on, she had to say right there at that moment? Seriously?

Hi Megan,
I greatly prefer the smaller interpersonal dramas over the big disaster drama as well. But I'm sure they'll keep doing stunts like this as they're pretty good ratings-drivers...

Mrs. Taylor is an amazing wife. I want to marry a Mrs. Taylor clone.

Hey Mo Diggs,
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Friends don't let friends not watch Lost. I will check it out this week.

Hi Willemijn,
Ditto the above, I will def catch up on Lost.

Hey NYOne,
Amen on VM. God, that first season was amazing though...

I stopped watching Studio 60 a while back precisely because of the rage frothing..

You're welcome for the music, sad songs make me happy too. =)

Hi Anon 11:33,
Thanks for your readership! Greatly appreciated. As a fellow GA viewer who talks to himself and cries alone in his room, I salute you.

Hey NewsGuyNY,
How are you old roomie? JJ is indeed directing an episode. Awesome indeed.

Hi Abyss,
Pour one for the homies... R.I.P. OC.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the grey's music!! I'm in love with Kate Havnevik and get so excited when they use one of her songs.

Also, you should definitely catch up on Lost. It's been great...and dare I say returning to the feel of season 1? Hopefully it will just keep getting better.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started reading this blog, and I just wanted to say thanks for all the music/episode reviews! I'm eagerly awaiting this week's episodes of Greys, just like I do every week (even though everyone knows Meredith isn't going anywhere), and the Office. I just started watching both of those shows this season, and I think Thursday is my new favorite day of the week!

2:50 PM  
Blogger paul said...

Heroes is the only show that I watch nowadays (*sigh*), and I'm not sure that I have any valid arguements as to why you should catch up. It started off so promisingly for me, but lately it feels like they haven't delivered on that promise, especially with the plotting. I had hoped that things would be tight, that there would be no padding, no fluff, as far as what happened and why. I mean, of all the hundreds of people with powers, they chose these few to focus on for a reason, right? But lately, the show has started meandering, with events occuring just for the sake of something happening (I hate when serialized stories do that, whether it's in TV or comic books). And too often, I feel like I missed something that got left on the cutting room floor (like how Hiro got back to Texas after blinking to Japan, or how Peter automatically knew that Chris Eccleston was supposed to mentor him). And those damned "previously on..."s!

Oh, and my reaction to seeing the promos for the Black Donnellys was "huh, they made 'Sleepers' into a TV series?" You know, that 1996 Barry Levinson film that had 4 close-knit boys (Brad Pitt, Jason Patric, Billy Crudup, Ron Eldard) who grew up and got sucked back into the mob-life, and they had that one girl who was their best friend/romantic interest. I think part of that reaction was because the lead in the Donnellys, Jonathan Tucker, played the younger version of Billy Crudup in Sleepers.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grey's. The only good thing about this show is the music and Alex & Addison (or as I like to call them Addisex). I watch solely for them, & sadly I get so little, but damn are they the best thing going for this show.

The OC isn't as good as it was at the begining of the season but I'm still going to miss the hell out of it. And by that I'm going to miss the hell out of Julie (& Summer, but mostly Julie).

Lost. It's better than the mini arc, but that's not saying a whole lot since the mini arc stunk.

FNL. Love. Love. Great show. I hope it gets picked up for next season.

Thanks as always for the lovely music.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really thought the whole Izzy speech took away from the awesome that was Butterfly Boucher's "A Bitter Song". Is it her highly referenced trailer park upbringing that scares the other interns from just telling her to shut the hell up? Sorry, end of rant.

I enjoyed HIMYM yesterday for it's reference to "Slap Bet" and nice Bel Biv Devoe shoutout.

I will miss The OC's help in discovering great music. I owe them for Death Cab, Interpol, and Patrick Park.

It bums me out that you haven't enjoyed VM as much anymore. Last week's elevator scene was one of my favorite VM moments.

Brothers & Sisters doesn't have as strong of a music background as some of my favorite shows, but it brings about the sincerity and emotion of them. The dynamic between the characters are honest and realistic. You should check it out.

3:37 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

totally agree about himym. just show me the damn mother already. or more slap betting. i'm easy to please. :)

thanks for the songs!!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tunes! I admit that I was curious about how you'd handle the Nick Lachey song from Veronica Mars!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Jamie Dianne said...

Capt. Oats,

I'm also sort of weary about the "Meredith chilling out in Limbo Land" thing on Grey's, but I'll take it if I can get me some Kyle Chandler and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. They're great actors, and it does not heart that simply looking at them makes my heart pitter-patter. On the plus side, I'm totally hoping for some more Addison/Alex interaction and emotional Derek (I thought Patrick Dempsey rocked last episode). Oh, and the music for last week was beautiful and so well-used.

And I also am so glad that you kept recommending Friday Night Lights, because I caught a marathon on Bravo, gave it a chance, and got hooked.

Thanks as always for the musings and the music!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

THE MUSIC IS AMAZING! Seriously I know you don't personally pick it for the shows, but it is rocking. Thanks for providing it to us!

And I think you underrated The Night Moves. I thought it was amazing and classic OC. I loved all the callbacks, and thought it had the right mix of drama and comedy and family time. And it's finally hit me that this is the END. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that.

Yeah pretending to kill Meredith is dumb, but I forgave it all when I saw Denny/Dylan. Who cares how crazy it is - it made me gasp out loud.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really loving FNL!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Lost..blah
HEROES has me so hooked, that if I missed an episode I would freak.
FNL isnt my cup o' tea.
I still cant believe The OC is over, or almost at that.
Heroes, Greys, and The Office are quality shows in my book.
keep up the good work, C.O.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Julia said...

thanks for the mp3s!!

i've been waiting for those!

Brazil says thanks! =)

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for another batch of excellent tunes!

Come back to Lost. It's been mind-bending these last few episodes.

As for Grey's, I must respectfully disagree with regard to the "I believe" speech. I think the episode was a big turning point for Izzie, and it was time for her to say a lot of things that she'd been thinking but was feeling too uncertain to verbalize. I think that a lot of odd things go through a person's head when they think they're losing someone they love, and it's quite in-character for Izzie to freak out a little and start telling all her friends things that she's afraid she might never get to say to them again.

Not that my opinion matters, but I thought you might appreciate having an opposing thought to chew on :)

Thank you again!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey just a quick question... did you give up on house? they've had some pretty good songs on there this season! =)

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't Give up on Veronica Mars! And Thanks for the music.
Great songs on FNL tonite.
Kathy

6:00 PM  
Blogger Swishy said...

I hated Izzie's speech! I was like, WTF?!?! It went on about nine senences too long. And of course they're not gonna kill off Meredith ... poor girl, every time she and Derek need to have a conversation they put her hand on a bomb or knock her off a pier. I did think Derek was quite convincing. I knew what was going to happen and I still got teary because of him.

And Alex? LOVE HIM! He grows on me more and more every week.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

I'm a little late to the posting party, but here goes anyhow . . .

While Lost has taken a ratings nose-dive of late, I still think its a good show and worth watching. The writers have let a few issues fall through the cracks, but I think the scheduling changes and that long, long break hurt it more.

As for Heroes, it remains, in my humble opinion, a solid show. The writers dribble out a few answers here and there, so the mainstream audience doesn't lose interest, but there's enough mystery to keep me coming back for more.

While I'm not a big fan of the whole big accident scenario, I can understand why shows like Grey's throw them in occasionally. Personally, I like the character interplay and development much better, but that's just me. I thought the three episode (I know we're only covering the first two eppies here though) arc was really good. So Meredith landed in limbo land -- the writers tried something a bit different for their show; I can respect that. Besides, it was neat to see Denny back under any circumstances (okay, I'm a girl who drools over Denny's character, what can I say?!). I see from the post and comments that Izzy's character's getting a lot of grief for the "I believe" speech . . . Personally, it didn't bother me that much, besides it was something her character probably would've done. And when a loved one dies, well, I can only speak for myself, so let me start again. As my dad was dying, I was surprised to catch myself thinking about the weirdest stuff and even said some of it; maybe that's why Izzy's speech didn't bug me that much.

VM has lost a bit of its original spark. I don't know exactly what's missing, but something's gone. That said though, the last few eppies have been better than the first four in the Fall.

Last, Cap't . . . RIP, O.C. Aaah, we knew ye well. As always, thanks for the great post and wonderful tunes!!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Dinah said...

Loving the music. Thanks!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home