VD Is For Lovers
Um, yeah, I hope all you lovers catch a venereal disease. I hate you.
*But congrats to my friend Amber who just got engaged. I only sort of hate you. Okay fine, I'm super excited for you!
Anyway, I guess I could just throw up the rest of my break-up mix here, but that would be unfair to those that are happily in love and joyous on this day (although, if you are one of these people, I'm not sure why you're still reading because I just wished a venereal disease upon you). Either way, whether you love or hate VD, click below for a mix to suit your mood.
Couples, I have a "VD is for Lovers" mix for you. Just download in the order provided, hit play and have your love making be heightened to new levels.
Lonely people, I have a "VD is for Leavers" mix for you. Just download in the order provided, hit play and have your tears act as a lubricant while you pleasure yourself.
Leave a comment, let me know what you're thinking. If you like a song, support the artist and buy the album through the links!
Oh, and someone please shoot me in the face.
VD is for Lovers
SPD Valentine's Mix '07
1. "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" - Muse (covering Frankie Valli)
2. "My Coco" - Stellastarr* [buy album]
Just went to their show in LA. Awesometown. Will be posting a full review of the concert later this week...
3. "I Love You" - The Pipettes
4. "Nobody Does It Better (live)" - Radiohead (covering Carly Simon)
Nobody does it better than Radiohead.
5. "Inches and Falling" - The Format [buy album]
I mentioned the Format in the break-up post, but I need to keep pimping these guys until everyone here buys their album. Great songwriting, kinda like Queen meets The Shins.
6. "Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits" - The Magnetic Fields [buy album]
"Let's pretend we're bunny rabbits
Let's do it all day long
Let abbots, Babbitts and Cabots
Say Mother Nature's wrong
And when we've had a couple of beers
We'll put on bunny suits
I long to nibble your ears
And do as bunnies do"
Stephen Meritt, you're a genius.
7. "Love Me Like You" - The Magic Numbers [buy album]
8. "Kung Fu Grip Kiss" - The Damnwells [buy album]
The Damnwells were one of my favorite new bands last year. Also check out their song, "Texas."
9. "Dear Valentine" - Guster [buy album]
10. "Someone To Die For" - Jimmy Gnecco (feat. Brian May) [buy album]
Gnecco is the new Mercury. Blasphemy to some, I know. But just listen to this song?? They even teamed him up with Brian May to drive my point home.
11. "I Know You Love Me" - Smoking Popes [buy album]
12. "In The Aereoplane Over The Sea" - Neutral Milk Hotel [buy album]
"And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly
From the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me"
Grab your guitar, learn the four chords (G Em C D), and make your lady (or man) happy.
13. "You Got It" - Roy Orbison [buy album]
14. "Baby I'm Yours" - Artic Monkeys (covering Barbara Lewis) [buy album]
This cover actually trumps the original.
15. "Be Still My Heart" - The Postal Service [buy album]
16. "Heart of Mine" - Peter Salett [buy album]
I did not watch Keeping the Faith, but this is a great song off that soundtrack. Was the movie any good?
17. "Fresh Feeling" - Eels [buy album]
"Birds singing a song
Old pain is peeling
This is that fresh, that fresh feeling
Try, try to forget what's in the past,
Tomorrow is here
Love, orange sky above, lighting your way
There's nothing to fear"
18. "Love Song" - The Cure [buy album]
19. "Let's Dance" - M. Ward (covering David Bowie) [buy album]
I'll have to do a long overdue review of the M. Ward show I went to last year as well.
20. "I've Been Thinking" - Handsome Boy Modeling School & Cat Power [buy album]
Make out to this one. You're welcome.
21. "My Funny Valentine" - Elvis Costello (covering Mitzi Green? Judy Garland?) [buy album]
Could've gone with many other versions... Chet Baker, Ella, Rufus Wainwright... but it always comes back to Costello for me.
22. "I Found A Reason" - Cat Power (covering The Velvet Underground) [buy album]
Almost a completely different song here, absolutely beautiful.
23. "The Luckiest" - Ben Folds Five [buy album]
24. "Hey There Delilah" - Plain White T's [buy album]
For all you lovers in long-distance relationships, this is a wonderful song to send to your significant other. Fyi, long-distance never works. But hey, it's your life. I kid, I kid. I'm right there with ya... love conquers all distances. Unless one of the end points resides in CA. Then, you're fucked.
25. "Songbird" - Eva Cassidy (covering Fleetwood Mac)
Her voice has me on the floor every time.
VD is for Leavers
SPD Valentine's Mix '07
1. "When You Sleep" - My Bloody Valentine [buy album]
What's Valentine's Day without a My Bloody Valentine track?
2. "This is Everything" - Tegan and Sara [buy album]
3. "Abandoned Love" - Bob Dylan [buy album]
"One more time at midnight, near the wall
Take off your heavy make-up and your shawl
Won't you descend from the throne, from where you sit?
Let me feel your love one more time before I abandon it."
Damn, Dylan. Damn.
4. "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" - James Taylor [buy album]
What you'll hear if you walk by my window tonight.
5. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Fall Out Boy (covering Joy Division) [buy album]
Great song, great cover. I kind of like Fall Out Boy's new album. [braces for stones to be cast]
6. "She's Gone" - Stellastarr* [buy album]
7. "There Goes My Baby" - The Walkmen (covering the Drifters) [buy album]
My friend, Mike Russo, just told me that three of The Walkmen used to be in a band called Jonathan Fire Eater? Anyone heard their stuff? I hear it's like a sober-version of The Walkmen? That would kind of take away the charm of The Walkmen, but nonetheless, I'm intrigued.
8. "Luv" - Travis [buy album]
"Singing this song, singing along
Makes it easier for me to see you go
But in doing so, in letting you go
It only serves to show me
That I'm still in love with you"
9. "Valentine" - Old 97's [buy album]
"Heartbreak, old friend, goodbye it's me again
Of late, I've had some thought of movin' in
Of all the many ways a man will lose his home
Well, there ain't none better than the girl who's movin' on
True love, I knew some though of, some though of leavin' you
Bad thoughts I had, when Valentine's were due
Of all the many ways a man will break his heart
Well there ain't none meanter than he pulls his own apart"
Thanks NYOne for suggesting this one, I just wept for 5 hours. =) I kid. 6 hours. I needed a song to round out this mix to a nice 35, so I appreciate it! You... complete me?
10. "Love Ridden" - Fiona Apple [buy album]
11. "Enola Gay" - OMD [buy album]
A break-up song named after the plane that dropped the Hiroshima bomb. Doesn't get better than that.
12. "I Think I Need A New Heart" - The Magnetic Fields [buy album]
13. "Become The Enemy" - The Lemonheads [buy album]
"It's not our fault
Yeah things never turn out the way we plan
Something we can never understand
And it's both our faults
When we pass the blame instead of trying to change
Babe, we just need to rearrange
And oh, what you say to me
It's not how love's supposed to be
And oh, what you do to me
When you become the enemy."
How did I leave this off the original Break-Up mix?
14. "I Hate Everyone" - Get Set Go [buy album]
15. "All You Need Is Hate" - The Delgados [buy album]
16. "I Don't Love Anyone" - Belle & Sebastian [buy album]
17. "Fuck and Run" - Cassettes Won't Listen (covering Liz Phair)
18. "Lover I Don't Have To Love" - Bright Eyes [buy album]
19. "Lonely Day" - Phantom Planet [buy album]
20. "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" - The Smiths [buy album]
I did not know until recently that this song title was inspired by Sandie Shaw's "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now."
21. "Waltz #2" - Elliott Smith [buy album]
22. "I've Loved and Lost Again (live)" - Patsy Cline [buy album]
No one sings heartache better than Ms. Patsy Cline.
23. "Farewell" - Rosie Thomas [buy album]
Saddest. Song. Ever. First time I heard it was on Alias of all places. That show had amazing music, kind of wish JJ would bring some more solid tunes to Lost as well.
24. "Love Itself" - Leonard Cohen [buy album]
Okay wait, I lied above there. THIS is the saddest song ever.
25. "I Want To Vanish" - Elvis Costello
"I want to vanish
This is my fondest wish
To go where I cannot be captured
Laid on a decurated dish...
...If you should stumble upon my last remark
I'm crying in the wilderness
I'm trying my best to make it dark
How can I tell you, I'm rarer than most
I'm certain as a lost dog
Pondering a sign post."
This is why I love Elvis Costello.
26. "Unsuffer Me" - Lucinda Williams [buy album]
I didn't really get into Lucinda Williams until recently, but from what I can tell, she seems to be getting better with age. Her new album, West, just came out yesterday. Buy the album! I also like the song "Are You Alright?"
27. "Valentine" - The Replacements [buy album]
28. "Do You Love Me Now?" - The Breeders
29. "We Were Lovers" - Bloc Party
I've been hearing very mixed reactions to their new CD. If this song is an accurate reflection of the rest of the album, then I'm on board. Really like the lyrics.
30. "Grey Room" - Damien Rice [buy album]
I'm surprised Grey's hasn't used this one yet.
31. "Johnny Cash" - Kelley McRae [buy album]
I met Kelley through a friend of a friend that I went to church with in New York. She was having a gig, a group of our friends were gonna go, so I tagged along, not really having high expectations. By the end of her show, I was in love. I even asked her out on a date, I was rejected. Ah, memories. But seriously, this girl is truly remarkable. If you like Patsy Cline, you should give Kelley McRae a listen. Check out her myspace here.
32. "Inside of Love" - Nada Surf [buy album]
"I want to know what it's like on the inside of love."
33. "It Was Love" - The Elected [buy album]
"When we made love in the van, and I drove with your hand on my lap
And when San Diego got too unkind, we just picked up and left it behind
And we had some love and some hope, a full tank of gas and a wide open road
It was love to us, it was all that we had
And there's just a day when you just break
The best thing you had
And I still call it love
For now, it's the closest I've come"
Love those lyrics. This song was wonderfully used in the How I Met Your Mother episode, "The Scorpion and the Toad."
34. "Come Around" - Rhett Miller [buy album]
"Am I gonna be lonely for the rest of my life?
Unless you come around"
One of my favorites. Wonderfully used in this Scrubs episode.
35. "True Love Waits (live)" - Radiohead [buy album]
"And true love waits in haunted attics
And true love lives on lollipops and crisps
Just don't leave, don't leave"
Thom Yorke has reportedly said that the line "on lollipops and crisps" is from an article where he read that a child, who was left on his own for a week in a house while his parents left for a holiday, lived solely off of lollipops and crisps.
I just love the line "true love waits."