Wednesday, February 14, 2007

VD Is For Lovers

Oh, Valentine's Day. A day set aside for couples to appreciate and enjoy one another, a day for sweethearts to shower each other with sweets and sweet-nothings. A day to celebrate the great gift of love...

Um, yeah, I hope all you lovers catch a venereal disease. I hate you.
*But congrats to my friend Amber who just got engaged. I only sort of hate you. Okay fine, I'm super excited for you!

Anyway, I guess I could just throw up the rest of my break-up mix here, but that would be unfair to those that are happily in love and joyous on this day (although, if you are one of these people, I'm not sure why you're still reading because I just wished a venereal disease upon you). Either way, whether you love or hate VD, click below for a mix to suit your mood.

Couples, I have a "VD is for Lovers" mix for you. Just download in the order provided, hit play and have your love making be heightened to new levels.

Lonely people, I have a "VD is for Leavers" mix for you. Just download in the order provided, hit play and have your tears act as a lubricant while you pleasure yourself.

Leave a comment, let me know what you're thinking. If you like a song, support the artist and buy the album through the links!

Oh, and someone please shoot me in the face.

VD is for Lovers
SPD Valentine's Mix '07

1. "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" - Muse (covering Frankie Valli)

2. "My Coco" - Stellastarr* [buy album]
Just went to their show in LA. Awesometown. Will be posting a full review of the concert later this week...

3. "I Love You" - The Pipettes

4. "Nobody Does It Better (live)" - Radiohead (covering Carly Simon)
Nobody does it better than Radiohead.

5. "Inches and Falling" - The Format [buy album]
I mentioned the Format in the break-up post, but I need to keep pimping these guys until everyone here buys their album. Great songwriting, kinda like Queen meets The Shins.

6. "Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits" - The Magnetic Fields [buy album]
"Let's pretend we're bunny rabbits
Let's do it all day long
Let abbots, Babbitts and Cabots
Say Mother Nature's wrong
And when we've had a couple of beers
We'll put on bunny suits
I long to nibble your ears
And do as bunnies do"


Stephen Meritt, you're a genius.

7. "Love Me Like You" - The Magic Numbers [buy album]

8. "Kung Fu Grip Kiss" - The Damnwells [buy album]
The Damnwells were one of my favorite new bands last year. Also check out their song, "Texas."

9. "Dear Valentine" - Guster [buy album]

10. "Someone To Die For" - Jimmy Gnecco (feat. Brian May) [buy album]
Gnecco is the new Mercury. Blasphemy to some, I know. But just listen to this song?? They even teamed him up with Brian May to drive my point home.

11. "I Know You Love Me" - Smoking Popes [buy album]

12. "In The Aereoplane Over The Sea" - Neutral Milk Hotel [buy album]
"And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly
From the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see
Love to be
In the arms of all I'm keeping here with me"


Grab your guitar, learn the four chords (G Em C D), and make your lady (or man) happy.

13. "You Got It" - Roy Orbison [buy album]

14. "Baby I'm Yours" - Artic Monkeys (covering Barbara Lewis) [buy album]
This cover actually trumps the original.

15. "Be Still My Heart" - The Postal Service [buy album]

16. "Heart of Mine" - Peter Salett [buy album]
I did not watch Keeping the Faith, but this is a great song off that soundtrack. Was the movie any good?

17. "Fresh Feeling" - Eels [buy album]
"Birds singing a song
Old pain is peeling
This is that fresh, that fresh feeling

Try, try to forget what's in the past,
Tomorrow is here

Love, orange sky above, lighting your way
There's nothing to fear"


18. "Love Song" - The Cure [buy album]
Classic.

19. "Let's Dance" - M. Ward (covering David Bowie) [buy album]
I'll have to do a long overdue review of the M. Ward show I went to last year as well.

20. "I've Been Thinking" - Handsome Boy Modeling School & Cat Power [buy album]
Make out to this one. You're welcome.

21. "My Funny Valentine" - Elvis Costello (covering Mitzi Green? Judy Garland?) [buy album]
Could've gone with many other versions... Chet Baker, Ella, Rufus Wainwright... but it always comes back to Costello for me.

22. "I Found A Reason" - Cat Power (covering The Velvet Underground) [buy album]
Almost a completely different song here, absolutely beautiful.

23. "The Luckiest" - Ben Folds Five [buy album]

24. "Hey There Delilah" - Plain White T's [buy album]
For all you lovers in long-distance relationships, this is a wonderful song to send to your significant other. Fyi, long-distance never works. But hey, it's your life. I kid, I kid. I'm right there with ya... love conquers all distances. Unless one of the end points resides in CA. Then, you're fucked.

25. "Songbird" - Eva Cassidy (covering Fleetwood Mac)
Her voice has me on the floor every time.

---------------------------------------

VD is for Leavers
SPD Valentine's Mix '07

1. "When You Sleep" - My Bloody Valentine [buy album]
What's Valentine's Day without a My Bloody Valentine track?

2. "This is Everything" - Tegan and Sara [buy album]

3. "Abandoned Love" - Bob Dylan [buy album]
"One more time at midnight, near the wall
Take off your heavy make-up and your shawl
Won't you descend from the throne, from where you sit?
Let me feel your love one more time before I abandon it."


Damn, Dylan. Damn.

4. "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" - James Taylor [buy album]
What you'll hear if you walk by my window tonight.

5. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Fall Out Boy (covering Joy Division) [buy album]
Great song, great cover. I kind of like Fall Out Boy's new album. [braces for stones to be cast]

6. "She's Gone" - Stellastarr* [buy album]

7. "There Goes My Baby" - The Walkmen (covering the Drifters) [buy album]
My friend, Mike Russo, just told me that three of The Walkmen used to be in a band called Jonathan Fire Eater? Anyone heard their stuff? I hear it's like a sober-version of The Walkmen? That would kind of take away the charm of The Walkmen, but nonetheless, I'm intrigued.

8. "Luv" - Travis [buy album]
"Singing this song, singing along
Makes it easier for me to see you go
But in doing so, in letting you go
It only serves to show me
That I'm still in love with you"


9. "Valentine" - Old 97's [buy album]
"Heartbreak, old friend, goodbye it's me again
Of late, I've had some thought of movin' in
Of all the many ways a man will lose his home
Well, there ain't none better than the girl who's movin' on

True love, I knew some though of, some though of leavin' you
Bad thoughts I had, when Valentine's were due
Of all the many ways a man will break his heart
Well there ain't none meanter than he pulls his own apart"


Thanks NYOne for suggesting this one, I just wept for 5 hours. =) I kid. 6 hours. I needed a song to round out this mix to a nice 35, so I appreciate it! You... complete me?

10. "Love Ridden" - Fiona Apple [buy album]

11. "Enola Gay" - OMD [buy album]
A break-up song named after the plane that dropped the Hiroshima bomb. Doesn't get better than that.

12. "I Think I Need A New Heart" - The Magnetic Fields [buy album]

13. "Become The Enemy" - The Lemonheads [buy album]
"It's not our fault
Yeah things never turn out the way we plan
Something we can never understand
And it's both our faults
When we pass the blame instead of trying to change
Babe, we just need to rearrange

And oh, what you say to me
It's not how love's supposed to be
And oh, what you do to me
When you become the enemy."


How did I leave this off the original Break-Up mix?

14. "I Hate Everyone" - Get Set Go [buy album]
Self-explanatory.

15. "All You Need Is Hate" - The Delgados [buy album]

16. "I Don't Love Anyone" - Belle & Sebastian [buy album]

17. "Fuck and Run" - Cassettes Won't Listen (covering Liz Phair)

18. "Lover I Don't Have To Love" - Bright Eyes [buy album]

19. "Lonely Day" - Phantom Planet [buy album]

20. "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" - The Smiths [buy album]
I did not know until recently that this song title was inspired by Sandie Shaw's "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now."

21. "Waltz #2" - Elliott Smith [buy album]

22. "I've Loved and Lost Again (live)" - Patsy Cline [buy album]
No one sings heartache better than Ms. Patsy Cline.

23. "Farewell" - Rosie Thomas [buy album]
Saddest. Song. Ever. First time I heard it was on Alias of all places. That show had amazing music, kind of wish JJ would bring some more solid tunes to Lost as well.

24. "Love Itself" - Leonard Cohen [buy album]
Okay wait, I lied above there. THIS is the saddest song ever.

25. "I Want To Vanish" - Elvis Costello
"I want to vanish
This is my fondest wish
To go where I cannot be captured
Laid on a decurated dish...

...If you should stumble upon my last remark
I'm crying in the wilderness
I'm trying my best to make it dark
How can I tell you, I'm rarer than most
I'm certain as a lost dog
Pondering a sign post."


This is why I love Elvis Costello.

26. "Unsuffer Me" - Lucinda Williams [buy album]
I didn't really get into Lucinda Williams until recently, but from what I can tell, she seems to be getting better with age. Her new album, West, just came out yesterday. Buy the album! I also like the song "Are You Alright?"

27. "Valentine" - The Replacements [buy album]

28. "Do You Love Me Now?" - The Breeders

29. "We Were Lovers" - Bloc Party
I've been hearing very mixed reactions to their new CD. If this song is an accurate reflection of the rest of the album, then I'm on board. Really like the lyrics.

30. "Grey Room" - Damien Rice [buy album]
I'm surprised Grey's hasn't used this one yet.

31. "Johnny Cash" - Kelley McRae [buy album]
I met Kelley through a friend of a friend that I went to church with in New York. She was having a gig, a group of our friends were gonna go, so I tagged along, not really having high expectations. By the end of her show, I was in love. I even asked her out on a date, I was rejected. Ah, memories. But seriously, this girl is truly remarkable. If you like Patsy Cline, you should give Kelley McRae a listen. Check out her myspace here.

32. "Inside of Love" - Nada Surf [buy album]
"I want to know what it's like on the inside of love."

33. "It Was Love" - The Elected [buy album]
"When we made love in the van, and I drove with your hand on my lap
And when San Diego got too unkind, we just picked up and left it behind
And we had some love and some hope, a full tank of gas and a wide open road

It was love to us, it was all that we had
And there's just a day when you just break
The best thing you had
And I still call it love
For now, it's the closest I've come"


Love those lyrics. This song was wonderfully used in the How I Met Your Mother episode, "The Scorpion and the Toad."

34. "Come Around" - Rhett Miller [buy album]
"Am I gonna be lonely for the rest of my life?
Unless you come around"


One of my favorites. Wonderfully used in this Scrubs episode.

35. "True Love Waits (live)" - Radiohead [buy album]
"And true love waits in haunted attics
And true love lives on lollipops and crisps
Just don't leave, don't leave"


Thom Yorke has reportedly said that the line "on lollipops and crisps" is from an article where he read that a child, who was left on his own for a week in a house while his parents left for a holiday, lived solely off of lollipops and crisps.

I just love the line "true love waits."

39 Comments:

Anonymous Diamond said...

You're just too good to be true.

Happy Valentine's/Singles Awareness Day!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're forgetting a certain song by U2 in that top list, buddy. ;) lol Also, I didn't notice any Sarah McLachlan. I'm sure it was just an oversight. You wouldn't turn your back on the soundtrack of melodramatic youth just cuz you're a big writer now. Or would you??

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonny you are a god. Like I said to my friends today Valentine's Day is pathetic.

But thanks for the great tunes. Love your music taste and wit.

Anyway I'll remember the day as I had a couple of hours ago my last exam.

10:18 AM  
Blogger NYOne said...

Love, as always Captain. Another amazing batch of songs. I don't know what this says about me, but regardless of the state of my current relationship, I always prefer melancholy music over fluffy, romantic tunes. But I will be snagging most of the stuff from both playlists, because you have yet to steer us wrong. I'd like to add a suggestion to the VD is for Leavers: Valentine by the Old 97's

Valentine, the destroyer, Valentine, you belong
In the stars, where you are, always rollin' on.
Cried, I've cried till I couldn't carry on.
It's a lonely, lonely feelin' when your Valentine is wrong.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should give the new Bloc Party Album a try. I wasn't a big fan of their first, only liked the couple of songs that were used in various TV-Shows, but I bought this one and it's good. It get's better every time you listen to it.

Keep up the good work.

Janine

2:40 PM  
Anonymous megan said...

Despite being single Im atually quite indifferent to the whole Valentine's day thing.

Of course that being said I wouldn't mind discovering I have a secret admirer. Of course that only happens in like 3rd grade so I guess Im out of luck.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Halpert said...

Hey Captain!
Thanks for the tunes, as always! I have to wonder where you get such awesome taste, always primo.
Sorry about the sucky VD. PA got a lot of snow though. With any luck, that bitch'll freeze. Bitch-cicle...lol.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Thanks for the songs!

This miserable day just became a little more bearable.

I'm really liking "Johnny Cash" by Kelley McRae.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous laura said...

i was trying to avoid sad music today, but i just can't resist "true love waits", "waltz #2", and anything fiona.

thanks a lot.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Scribe LA said...

Hey Sonny,
Valentines, Shmalintines.
I totally adore "Keeping the Faith." The supporting cast is lovely, too, with Milos Foreman and Anne Bancroft. I was surprised to see the song Heart of Mine on the list, though it's been a favorite of mine since the movie came out.
Take care. And stay away from sharp objecs for awhile, until your mood on love improves:-)
Scribe

9:45 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hi Diamond,
Haha hope you had a great Singles Awareness Day too!

Hey Anon,
=) Indeed, I seem to be neglecting the melodramatic music of my youth. BUT I did channel some of the melodramatic music of today's youth with Fall Out Boy and the Plain White T's!!

Hi Anon,
I wish I were a god. It'd make life much easier. Hope your exam went well...

Hi NYOne,
I am a great believer and lover of sadness in music. My writing partner always makes fun of me that my party playlist would consist of Elliott Smith and The Weepies. So we are kindred spirits.

Thanks again for that GREAT mix addition.

Hey Anonymous,
Silent Alarm was one of my favorite albums that year. So if the new record is better than that, I will definitely check it out in its entirety!!

Hi megan,
Only happens in 3rd grade? Megan, you have killed me, I thought you were my secret admirer!

Hey Halpert,
You're welcome! Apparently, you have awesome taste as well! Yeah, I heard PA got shat upon, so I'm definitely thankful for the mid-70's weather here. And I'm adding the term "bitch-cicle" to my lexicon! Though I don't think I'll ever be able to use it towards the ex. She'll always be my "fav-cicle?" Sorry, I may have just caused you to vomit in your mouth a little.

Hi Annie,
You're welcome! Glad you like Kelley, the rest of her album is amazing too!

Hey laura,
You should never try to resist the wonders of utterly depressing music. =) You're welcome.

Hi Scribe,
I will have to add "Keeping the Faith" to the Netflix queue. How are things going for you? Writing a lot?

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely tunes love !

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonny-- I didn't know you were an Eva Cassidy fan as well! Love True Love Waits, as well, and didn't know the reasoning behind the lollipops and crisps line. Love it.
Cant wait to listen to your other recs!
Valentine's Day is OVER! Woohoo!
xoxoxo
Katie

6:59 AM  
Anonymous megan said...

Well I'd offer to be your secret admirer now, but then it wouldn't be a secret. And additionally, it would be totally cheap. I mean no one wants a secret admirer out of pity right?

Though I do admire your taste in music and TV, but thats no secret as I openly stalk your blog for new posts. :)

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

V Day definately sucked this year.

But what didn't suck was Grey's Anatomy and The O.C. tonight! Seriously THAT is a good night of television. Music please?

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for both mixes. As a single girl, I'm more prone to the second one. One thing though. Do you really like the Fall Out Boy version of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' better than the one by Susanna & The Magical Orchestra? That cover just floors me.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Vaedri said...

Wonderful! Thanks yet again!

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A most excellent mix. Thank you!

10:29 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

you're the best thing to happen to me this valentine's. and by you, i actually mean your tunes, but you rock my world too.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grey Room was used on House recently, to great effect. I am waiting for it to turn up on Grey's any minute now.

Thanks for the music!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks man! You always make my day!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Iva Djokovic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Iva Djokovic said...

thnx man. the links not working is on me, don't be alerted and thanx again. your blog is great

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Laura said...

Thanks for the mix Sonny, happy belated valentines to you too! Please please please put up the latest music from Grey's, I can't find it anywhere!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous jin said...

hi sonny. can you find the last song thats on the studio 60 from the episode "harriet dinner part II"? pleease? then can you email/IM it to me? thanks big bro.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tunes. As a suggestion, could you offer a zipped file of the songs as a zipped-for-your-convenience link? Thanks again.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Alistair said...

Stunning list! Happy Singles Awareness to you too! Although somewhat belated.

All the same, I downloaded a lot of those songs, they're great. Particularly great are the Eels and Get Set Go. Coolness

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Jess said...

This is so awesome! Taking both of the mixes. One for the bitter times, one for the good and it's just what I need :)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude i don't know u but YOU ARE PSYCHO. mary's moved on, get over it man. she's happier without u!no wonder your writing career is just a "silly pipe dream"

4:17 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Nice, anonymous 4:17. Dude is just expressing himself on his blog. People read and enjoy and commiserate.

It really takes some sort of toxic personality to leave such a comment, written solely to hurt another person. Issues . . .

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

On VD I went out for dinner with my wife. When I went to pay, the waiter told me in confidence that my "sister" was hot and asked if he could date her. There's a scene for a script...

As always, thanks for the tunes, your music taste is impeccable!

And I just read Anonymous 4.17's waste of a comment, he and the waiter should get together, two morons without a clue.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Anon 5:35,
You're welcome!

Hi Katie,
Yeah, I only recently discovered Eva Cassidy, and boy, I kinda wish I hadn't... she makes me weep. True Love Waits is amazing, wish they'd actually record it. Thanks for the comment!

Hi Megan,
I am not above pity admirers.

Hey Jessica,
Just caught up on all my TV. Yes, great night of TV. Musical Monday post coming up later today..

Hi Anon 1:18,
You're quite welcome, I think I'd be prone to the second one even if I were in a happy relationship. And no, I do not prefer Fall Out Boy's cover over Susanna & The Magical Orchestra's. That version is splendid, but I figured I'd throw something different up since I had just posted it a few posts back... of course, the original version is my fav.

Hey Vaedri,
You're welcome!

Hi Anon 10:29,
Thank you!

Hey Michelle,
Glad I could make V-Day a little better.

Hi Anon 12:08,
Thanks for the House note, I did not know that. How has House been this year?

Hi Anon 10:02,
You're welcome! Your comments make my day!

Hi Iva,
Hmm, hope the links work for you now. I haven't encountered any problems on this end...

Hey Laura,
You're welcome, Musical Monday on its way my friend...

Hey Jin,
I'll send ya that song as soon as I find it. Are you bummed that the show looks like it's getting cancelled?

Hi Anon 6:50,
More work? =) I kid. That's actually a great suggestion, I'll look into that for the next mix...

Hey Alistair,
Glad you liked the mixes! Eels are fabulous...

Hey Jess,
Happy downloading!

Hi Anon 4:17,
Dude, I don't know you either (though I have a couple guesses), and I'm quite content with not knowing you. Thanks for the enlightening information regarding Mary, and best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

Hey Melissa,
Thanks for the support. =) Is it weird that I wanted to post the Nickel Creek cover of Britney's "Toxic" when I read your comment? Probably.

Hi Jonathan,
That IS a great scene for a script... duly noted. What did you say to the waiter??

3:06 AM  
Blogger Bumpyminion said...

One year my mother gave me a pair of earrings for Valentine's Day. They were two halves of a jagged broken heart - painted black.
She said "If you're with someone it's Valentine's Day, if you're not, it's just another day".

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Jolene said...

These mixes are fabulous!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

I had a sucky Valentine's Day; I was sick.

But coming here today and seeing the post and all these great tunes have made me feel much better!!

Hang in there, Cap't, and thanks for the awesome tunage.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

I'm a little late to the game, but fantastic Valentine Mixes! You score major points for pimping out The Damnwells, Muse, and Rosie Thomas. They're some of my all-time favorite artists.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this music. you've got an interesting taste for music - love it. my first time here, will be coming back for more. happy valentine's day :)

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Joyce said...

I find your blog absolutely hilarious and insightful. You should start posting again! I just saw that you put down Peter Sallett's Heart of Mine - one of my fave songs ever. And yes, Keeping the Faith is very good, as is most Ed Norton movies from the 90s and early 2000s.

10:20 PM  
Blogger dong dong23 said...

louis vuitton
kate spade handbags
ray ban sunglasses outlet
nike basketball shoes
ralph lauren polo
christian louboutin outlet
jordan 8s
nike outlet store
rolex submariner
coach factory outlet
coach factory outlet
true religion outlet
nike air huarache
pandora jewelry
christian louboutin shoes
christian louboutin
kobe bryant shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
cheap jordans
timberland boots
adidas uk
kate spade
air jordans
michael kors handbags
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
ralph lauren polo outlet
nike air max
michael kors outlet
hollister outlet
nike blazers
ralph lauren
nike nfl jerseys
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton handbags
tory burch outlet
jordans for sale
tory burch outlet
nike sb
20166.25wengdongdong

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home