Thursday, March 15, 2007

Under The Covers

Sorry for the lack of posts this week. I'm in the midst of transferring the blog to the "new" Blogger template, which will hopefully bring the much-needed "tag" feature. In the meantime, partly out of laziness and mostly out of my love for covers, I've decided to start doing this weekly "Under The Covers" post. I've posted some covers in the past, but also check out Pop Candy for a list of Whitney's favorite covers. Hope you enjoy, buy some albums and leave a comment!

A Tribute To David Bowie
"Rock 'n' Roll Suicide (live)" - Rilo Kiley
Jenny Lewis, marry me.

"Life On Mars?" - Seu Jorge [buy album]
From The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou soundtrack. Not amazing, like I don't want to make out with it or anything, but it's nice to drink your morning coffee to. If you like it, also check out his cover of "Rebel Rebel."

"Five Years (live)" - Arcade Fire [buy album]
Rumor has it that Bowie chose five years as the length of time because of a dream he had where his deceased feather told him he must never fly again and would die in five years. Thank you, Wiki!

P.S. Buy the new Arcade Fire album.

"Modern Love" - The Last Town Chorus [buy album]
Featured on Grey's Anatomy, this cover definitely deserves the attention. This song is perfectly fit for her voice. However, I greatly prefer the live recording below.

"Modern Love (live)" - The Last Town Chorus

"Let's Dance" - The Futureheads

"Let's Dance" - M. Ward [buy album]
An amazing cover. On most days, I actually would pick this cover over the original. But that's because I'm a sad man inside.

"The Man Who Sold The World" - Nirvana [buy album]
Best Bowie cover ever.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous B said...

You are my favorite person in the world at the moment. Nothing like waking up to a bunch of awesome Bowie covers.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Kavina said...

what a gorgeous idea! i love it when you post up covers and a weekly dosage of this is gonna be.. well.. heavenly!! i now adore you. well done! xx

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously my favorite blog. in the world. ever. you're amazing, thaaaaaaaanks

-lindsay

1:14 PM  
Anonymous megan said...

If I were a guy I think I would want to marry Jenny Lewis too.

Thanks for the covers!

And ditto to what Lindsay said- best blog ever.

2:35 PM  
Blogger NYOne said...

This is crazy - I JUST started a long-overdue covers playlist in iTunes today. Do the Beatles next! Beyond the I Am Sam soundtrack, there are some amazing ones - Alison Krauss' version of "I Will" is an all-time fav. (I actually didn't know it was a Beatles song when I first heard it, and almost cried when I caught their original version on the radio. Happy cried, mind you.Overshare?)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey B,
Glad you liked the Bowie covers! You are on my favorite person list as well. =)

Hi Kavina,
I adore you too. Glad you like the new weekly post!

Hey Lindsay,
Thanks! Spread the word about the blog, please!

Hi Megan,
Have you ever seen "The Wizard"? Jenny Lewis as a child actress with Fred Savage in a movie about Nintendo. Amazing.

Hey NYOne,
You know what else is crazy? I was seriously gonna do the Beatles next! Great minds...

11:28 AM  
Anonymous megan said...

I have not seen The Wizard. I'll have to put it in my Netflix queue.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Sean Beck said...

How could you miss Iggy Pop's version of China Girl!?

1:31 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Megan,
Awesome. Let me know what you think!

Sean Beck,
Bro, did you get my email? How cool was it to see WKUK's first episode last night?

And I don't know how I missed Iggy Pop's China Girl.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brian moloko of placebo live acoustic cover of five years: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qg9PxSGFwfI&mode=related&search=

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home