Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Whitest Kids U'Know

Hey friends. Sorry I haven't posted the songs from this past week's episodes. Unfortunately, I haven't watched any TV lately. My writing partner and I have begun the insanity that is staffing season, so it's been a bit hectic. More to come on that later...

However, the one show that I definitely will watch today is The Whitest Kids U'Know on Fuse at 11 pm. I've mentioned them before, but now you all really need to pay attention.

One of the Whitest Kids, Trevor, is a friend of mine and used to be a fellow NBC Page just a mere three years ago. Now, his face is plastered on billboards in Times Square and Sunset Boulevard. His secret? A fairly complicated algorithm I'm unable to disclose here. Oh, and there's the seven years of hard work Trevor and his comedy troupe have put in, performing every Sunday at Piano's, a bar on the Lower East Side (and they still do, you can even catch them there this Sunday).

Their big break came last year when they won the Best Sketch Award at the HBO Aspen Comedy Festival. Variety then dubbed them one of the top ten comics to watch. They quickly scored a deal with Paramount to write, direct and act in their own movie, released an album, and obviously, they also got their own show on Fuse, executive produced by Jim Biederman of Kids in the Hall fame.

Not. Too. Shabby.

Kind of makes you take a look at what you've accomplished over the past three years. Personally, this 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle of Harry Potter has been a son of a bitch...

Anyway, reviews of the show have been pretty favorable so far, but decide for yourself, here are a few clips from tonight's episode:




My Favorite WKUK Music Videos:
Hitler Rap
We Gon' Make Love

My Favorite WKUK Sketches:
Abe Lincoln
Sexy Fawn
Look What I Bought
The New Thing
*Side note: if the above "New Thing" sketch looks familiar, it's because Budweiser ripped it off in their Super Bowl commercial. It actually made headlines, including Page Six. The Kids now only drink Coors.

My Favorite WKUK Live Sketches:
Motorcycle Mama
Line Leader
Blind Comedians
Dinner Vote

If you guys like what you see here, check out their website for more videos. Not only are these guys some of the whitest and funniest guys I know, but they are also the nicest. They really do deserve all their recent success and more. So again, tune into Fuse TODAY at 11 pm for the season premiere of The Whitest Kids U'Know. Leave a comment and let me know what you think! *EDIT: Watch some videos, leave a comment or no new Wusical Wednesday! Yes, I've resorted to threats.

*UPDATE: SPD reader, Jordan C., recently emailed me a short comedy film he made with Sam Brown of WKUK. It's called Tim Warner: A Life in the Clouds, click here and check it out!

*UPDATE: Recently spoked to Trevor of WKUK, and he informed me that the show's premiere did EIGHT TIMES the numbers of Fuse's previous ratings in that timeslot!! Hopefully this means a second season is in store... tune in next week to keep supporting!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those guys are the best sketch group ive seen in years, i caught them at a show in la last year. best of luck to them!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Me said...

loved the sketches!!specially the "you can see me?" that i watched on youtube and the one you posted where Trevor gets all the movie ideas!very funny..the whiskey super size me was great too!been a long time since i laughed like that thanks to sketches!and with the office being on hiatus too..unfortunately i don't live in the US so i can't watch their show..but the greatness of internet can save me!!
thanks for sharing and i would like to know more about staffing season!

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

Hi Cap't!

I love thes guys! My favorite clips have to be "New Thing" and "Hitler Rap." And shame on Bud for rippin' these dudes off!!

Hey, didn't HIMYM do a funny slap bit, too? I'm pretty sure it was between Barney and Marshall, and it was killer funny. Sorry, I digress . . .

Thanks for the funny post and for introducing us to a great crew!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hi Anon 5:47,
Glad you caught them live, they're definitely at their best in person.

Hi Me,
Thanks for checking out the videos! Glad you liked them, definitely spread the word! I'll be updating on staffing season soon...

Hey Krissi,
Thanks for watching some of the videos! And thanks for the songs you sent me, you're the best. And yeah, HIMYM has an ongoing Slap Bet bit, but it's definitely different enough to not have any hints of plagairism, guess slapping is in. =) Bud blatantly stole, even the shot angles. Bastards.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha they were really funny! Thanks for posting Sonny!

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great videos. Sadly, this is the first time that I've heard of that sketch group - but they rock. Hitler Rap was awesome!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home