Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Wusical Wednesday

The Class - "The Class Goes Back To The Hospital" (A-)
Monday was the season finale of The Class. And to quote Richie from this episode, "You never know what's going to happen." At the beginning of the season, I had nothing but negative things to say about the pilot. I stopped watching all together after a few episodes. My ex then urged me to get back into it a few months ago. I did, and the show's slowly improved every week, culminating with this wonderful last episode. I never thought I'd say this, but I hope CBS renews this show.

I won't ruin it in case you all haven't seen it. And by "you all," I mean all two of you other regular viewers. But the episode had a great balance of heart and humor, and I especially loved The Lakehouse scene. You can watch the episode on Innertube.

Speaking of Innertube, you should also check out the behind-the-scenes footage available on there for How I Met Your Mother and The Class. Nothing gets me more excited to work on a show than watching table reads. Yes, I am a huge nerd. I will now return to playing Tetris on my graphing calculator.

The Black Donnellys - "A Stone Of The Heart" (C+)
Still feel the same way I did about the pilot, maybe a bit more adamantly now. Though I'm sure the ladies, and some men, didn't mind seeing Tommy half-naked for most of the episode. The dude works out. I thought he was just a lanky, art student in the pilot. I was wrong. I need to get on the Tommy Donnelly work out plan. I'm gonna give this show one more episode and then I'm probably gonna make like fabric softener and Bounce.

Friday Night Lights - "Extended Families" (A)
I absolutely loved this episode. Sure, the Waverly plot was a little weird. And yes, I want to kick Tim Riggins' new kid neighbor in the chins. But the end scene with Tami and Tyra, as well as the Jason/Lyla scene, more than made up for those minor annoyances.

ALL EPISODES ARE NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE. If you're reading this, you have internet, so you now have no excuse not to catch up on this show.

South Park - "With Apologies To Jesse Jackson"
Haven't watched yet, it's on the DVR, but I am insanely excited that the show's back. Last season had some amazing episodes ("Make Love, Not Warcraft," "Hell on Earth," etc). There's a quote from this episode already up on tv.com, with Cartman saying, "It's on! RACE WAAAR!! Race War's on everybody! It's going down! Shit is going down!" This reminds me of my friend Trevor's comedy troupe, The Whitest Kids U'Know, and their sketch, "Race War." The Whitest Kids' new show debuts March 20th at 11pm on Fuse. Below is one of my favorite sketches:


And here's another favorite sketch:


30 Rock - "The Source Awards" (B-)
This episode was a little below average for me. I didn't really like Wayne Brady's character, nor the LL Cool J story. Of course though, as always, there were still plenty of great lines:

GHOSTFACE KILLAH: "I'll get my rhyming dictionary."

JACK: "What the hell does she know? She's a Murphy. Bunch of mud farmers and sheep rapists."

LL's character insinuating that Tupac is still alive.

Tracy's Oprah impression.

Jack's list of rapper names, which included "MC Skat Cat" and "RiDonkeyKong."

All in all, kind of a slow week in TV Land. Sorry for the lack of posts this week, more to come over the weekend. And as usual, click below for the tunes and leave a comment!

The Black Donnellys - "A Stone Of The Heart"
"Handle With Care" - Traveling Wilburys
"Cannonball" - Damien Rice [buy album]
"Cold Water" - Damien Rice [buy album]
"Louie Louie" - The Kingsmen (covering Richard Berry) [buy album]
"Real Bad News" - Aimee Mann [buy album]
"Still Love" - Holly Brook [buy album]

Friday Night Lights - "Extended Families"
"Hope (Tell Everyone)" - David Usher
"Idlewild (Don'tchu Worry 'Bout Me)" - Outkast [buy album]
"Late Night Bedroom Rock for the Missionaries" - Broken Social Scene [buy album]

Scrubs - "My Night To Remember"
"Diner" - Martin Sexton [buy album]
"How To Save A Life" - The Fray [buy album]
"She Is" - The Fray [buy album]
"Winter" - Joshua Radin [buy album]
"Sometimes A Fantasy" - Billy Joel [buy album]
"The Candy Man" - Sammy Davis Jr. [buy album]
"Walking Next To You" - Acres [buy album]

20 Comments:

Anonymous Cat said...

Only C- for that Scrubs episode? I seriously would have given it an F. Yep. An F.

4:57 AM  
Blogger NYOne said...

I notice you didn't bother with VM. Probably a good choice - it was an underwhelming finale to an arc I had hoped to care more about. I would still be interested in your take, though. And hey, you stopped responding back to our comments? I'm not feeling the love.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

i love love love love friday night lights. finally, there's a decent and realistic show that i can relate to. you got me hooked to that show BIG time thanks dear cap't oats. this show now kicks grey's off to second place. you didn't like the neighbor's kid? i'm guessing you didn't find him an adorable munchkin like i did. i thought the best line in that episode was when tim turned to him and said, "stop please. i'm gonna need you to shut up because i'm incredibly hungover right now." love tim. there a times when i just want to shoot lyla in the head but i loved the scene with her and jason near the end. david usher's hope really fits into those last few scenes. thanks for the music!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sonny ! Don't give up on the Black Donnellys ! You're my television soul mate and television soul mates don't give up on the Black Donnellys !

12:28 PM  
Blogger sam said...

okay, so, don't tell, but I've been streaming the oc all day at work today...you see, i had some major dvr scheduling complications this year due to all the fantabulous thursday night programming and i missed the entire season...so now i'm catching up via the wonders of fox myspace...it's brilliant. i have headphones on and can listen to everything while still doing work and only have to actually watch the picture for all the ryan and taylor romance. rrrrow.

so, the point is, i only JUST NOT saw the sleeping beauty episode. which was awesome. awesomely awesome awesome.

oh, oc, i know you got really bad for a while, but i'm still totally attached to you...sadness

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In scrubs I thought the line about The Fray bumped it up from a C- to a C

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Jess said...

I love Scrubs but would definitely have to agree that it was not at it's best.
Also, I really liked both episodes of the Black Donnellys; give it another episode or two.

5:46 PM  
Blogger paul said...

My favorite moment from 30 Rock was when Kenneth stole LL's nose, and after a beat, LL told one of his lackeys to go get his nose back.

Oh, and catch up on Heroes right now. The past two episodes have been astounding. Totally made up for the lackluster episodes in this pod.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Diamond said...

Oh man. "Walking Next to You" is one of those sappy, happy songs you can't help but like.

Don't judge me. ; )

Thanks so much for the tunes!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Tina said...

What happend to The Office this week?
[I dont live in America :(]
I really wanted to see what Roy does to Jim! lol

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*kicks stupid Canadian IP address*
I hate knowing that full episodes are streaming all over the States but "We're sorry, but the clip you selected isn't available from your location." Bitches!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Cat,
Yeah, I may have been a bit generous with Scrubs. That episode was at least a D in hindsight. Tonight's episode wasn't that much better either. Sadness.

Hi NYOne,
I haven't caught up on VM yet, but I DO intend to! And I may enjoy it now with lowered expectations. =) Sorry for the lack of communication as of late, the loving will be brought.

Hey Janet,
Glad you're enjoying FNL! I pray to God it comes back next season. And I normally like kids, but that little rascal just overdid it. I'm going to make a great father someday.

Hi Katie,
Well, I'll keep watching. But only cause we're soulmates. ;)

Hey Sam,
I had no idea all the eps were on MySpace. I may have to relive some lonely nights from earlier this year. How's NY btw?

Hi Anon 5:01,
That might've been the only point in the episode I felt an emotion other than disappointment.

Hey Jess,
They really are slipping at Scrubs this year...

Hey Paul,
30 Rock is brilliant. Did you watch tonight's? Alec Baldwin is a god.

I really need to watch Heroes. I don't know how I haven't been spoiled yet... oh wait, I stay in my room all day. That's why.

Hi Diamond,
Sappy and happy make these hands clappy.

Hey Tina,
The Office was a rerun this week. Most shows are on hiatus right now...

Hi Anon 10:38,
Trying not to break into "Blame Canada..." =)

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Kate L. said...

Oh yaaaay, Black Donnellys music! Thanks so much!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Jo said...

The songs you have for Veronica Mars were not in the episode. The only confirmed song for the ep is "A Night" by Harlem Shakes.

12:19 PM  
Blogger sam said...

ooh! just got through episode 13 of the oc (yes, still at work)

LOVE that deputy leo from VM is young sandy. he's adorable.

this season did NOT suck. too bad everyone (including me) assumed it would.

oh, and nyc is lovely, though i'm realizing i'll probably have to join you in La La Land soon...sadness

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Piney said...

Capt,
Thanks for the FNL online info. Trying hard to love this show. Yes, wrong songs for VM. I'd love for you to post the right ones.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Sam,
Yeah, it is a shame that people didn't really tune in for the last season. But hopefully, some will catch up online or on DVD... some great tunes this year too.

You should move out to LA, God knows, everyone else has! Ian and I live five minutes from each other. Lisa Hampton just moved out here too two weeks ago I think... join the fold, Sam. It was in the mid-80s today.

Hi Piney,
Hope you come around to FNL! I'll try to track down the right VM tracks...

1:38 AM  
Blogger sam said...

the weather alone is enough to get me out there methinks!

i do love nyc though...

so, i saw a big ad for whitest kids u know on the side of some payphones today...so weird to see trevor on a poster...when will it be us?!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Sam,
Yeah, it is insane to see Trevor hitting the big time. They definitely deserve it though. That Abe Lincoln sketch cracks me up. When will it be us? For me, never. I don't think I could ever do the performance route... I'll be content with sticking to the dark corners of a writers' rooms.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous jayne said...

Ooh, thanks for the info about FNL being online! I've only been able to watch the pilot so far, but I'd really like to catch up.

Thanks for the music!

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home