Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Day After Wusical Wednesday

Please excuse the title. I meant to post this yesterday, and I'm not too fond of any music-related alliterations for Thursday -- Threnodic Thursday only works if you're a total nerd (and if you are, we meet in my mom's basement every Friday night after Stargate Atlantis). Thus, we have "The Day After Wusical Wednesday". Because Wusical Wednesday doesn't scream "nerd" at all.

It had been a while, but my DVR and I finally made some sweet, sweet love last night. It made all the "bloop bloop" sounds I love to hear. We went on for hours, and now I'm spent, so I won't recap everything I watched. You probably don't want to hear a Cathouse 2: Back in the Saddle review anyway (fyi, A+). Alright, so here are some of my TV-related thoughts. As always, click on "Continue Reading" at the end of the post for the episode songs.

How I Met Your Mother - "Bachelor Party" (B)
Pretty good episode. But pretty weird that Future Ted's telling his kids a story that involves a stripper and a black dildo. But hey, maybe social taboos will really change in twenty years, and it'll be perfectly normal for parents to have a frank conversation with their kids about anal beads too.

My favorite exchange -
BARNEY: Fine, the stripper at Stuart's bachelor party was a 15.
TED: She was 15?!
BARNEY: A 15. Like in blackjack.
TED: As in you're not sure whether you'd hit it?
BARNEY: Exactly.

Here's a good NY Observer article about the show (although the writer mistakenly refers to "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" as a Pogues song instead of The Proclaimers, which is a pretty heinous mistake).

The Riches - "Pilot" (B+)
Both Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver are wonderful to watch. I really liked the premise. Loved the use of "Shelter From The Storm" at the end. Looking forward to catching up on the other episodes.

I had heard some complaints about the accents on the show, but it was a non-issue for me. Driver's Southern accent is great, and Izzard's odd British-trying-to-be-sort-of-Southern accent works, considering his character's from a family of Irish nomads that roam the South.

Pussycat Dolls: The Search for the Next Doll - "The Girl Who Becomes A Doll" (F)
*SPOILER* I would've been happy with either Melissa R. or Chelsea, but no, we got Asia. This may sound nuts, but if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't choose the crazy bitch who fought with every other contestant. But I'm no Pussycat Doll, so what do I know. I guess I still have absolutely no reason to ever purchase a Pussycat Dolls CD.

The Whitest Kids U'Know (B+)
Another solid episode this past week. Again, if you have FUSE and you're still not watching, read my WKUK 101 post here, and then watch on Tuesdays at 8 PM. If you don't have FUSE, there are a bunch of videos on YouTube and the WKUK site. If you're a fan, contact FUSE and harass them to renew the show for a second season!

Speaking of fans, Trevor was in town this week, and while we were at a bar, a random Whitest Kids fan came up and proceeded to buy all our drinks for the rest of the night. Did I feel bad for totally mooching off of Trevor's success? Yes. Did the free drinks help wash that away? Totally.

Anyway, here's a short new sketch for your viewing pleasure:


Friday Night Lights - "Mud Bowl" (A-)
Friday Night Lights - "Best Laid Plans" (A)
Friday Night Lights - "State" (B+)
The finale was a little underwhelming, only because it was a bit football-heavy and predictable, but I still think this was the best drama of the '06-'07 TV Season. Still no news on a second season renewal, we probably won't hear until the upfronts on May 14, but the news that six more scripts have been ordered could be a good sign.

In the meantime, WATCH ALL THE EPISODES ONLINE HERE.

For you fans out there, check out this interview with the show's creator, Peter Berg, from NPR's Fresh Air.

South Park - "The Snuke" (B-)
South Park - "Fantastic Easter Special" (B-)
South Park - "D-Yikes!" (A-)
South Park - "Night of the Living Homeless" (B+)
The "D-Yikes" episode was hilarious. "Scissor me timbers." Loved the 300 parody below.



October Road - "Pilot" (B-)
The show's ridiculously cheesy, yet I still enjoyed it... in the same way I enjoyed In The Land Of Women. Cheese is good sometimes.

The Office - "Safety Training" (B+)
I love rhymes.

DARRYL: You live a sweet, little, nerfy life. Sitting on your biscuit, never having to risk it.

I love Ed Helms.

ANDY: You can call me Drew.
JIM: No, I'm not going to call you that.
ANDY: Cool.

That is all.

30 Rock - "Fireworks" (B+)
30 Rock - "Corporate Crush" (B+)
30 Rock - "Cleveland" (A-)
First and foremost, let's all do "the worm" in celebration of the show's renewal!

However, Alec Baldwin announced yesterday that he wants to leave the show. And NBC said no. Yikes. Really hope things smooth over by next season. I love everyone on the show, and I think they could still pull it off without Baldwin, but it just wouldn't be the same.

On a lighter note, Tina Fey will be live blogging the finale this Thursday.

Scrubs - "My Words Of Wisdom"
The clip below made me LOL.



Entourage - "Less Than 30" (B)
Entourage - "Dog Day Afternoon" (C+)
Entourage - "Manic Monday" (B+)

Carla Gugino: so. freaking. hot.

Grey's Anatomy - "Time After Time"
I haven't watched yet, but honestly, I think I've lost that lovin' feeling. I just don't care about this show anymore. I concur with Alan Sepinwall's take on what's wrong lately.

But of course, I've still provided all the tunes below.

How I Met Your Mother - "Moving Day"
"Soap On Your Skin" - The Solids

How I Met Your Mother - "Bachelor Party"
"Pinched" - Chop Chop
"When I Get Up" - The Wiggins
*Could only find on MySpace

The Riches - "Pilot"
"How We Operate" - Gomez [buy album]
"Shelter From The Storm" - Bob Dylan [buy album]
"Tainted Love" - Soft Cell [buy album]
"Whip It" - Devo [buy album]
"Jessie's Girl" - Rick Springfield [buy album]

Friday Night Lights - "Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes"
"Only You Babe" - Curtis Mayfield [buy album]
"Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean" - Explosions In The Sky [buy album]

Friday Night Lights - "Mud Bowl"
"Read My Mind (Like Rebel Diamonds Mix)" - The Killers [buy album]

Friday Night Lights - "Best Laid Plans"
"Storm" - Jose Gonzalez [buy album]
"Appalachian Lullaby" - Shudder to Think & Nina Persson [buy album]

Friday Night Lights - "State"
"Walk Over Me" - Dirtie Blonde [buy album]
"Daft Punk is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [buy album]
"Lady Marmalade" - Patti Labelle [buy album]
"Devil Town" - Tony Lucca (covering Daniel Johnston)
*Will be made available on the upcoming FNL soundtrack. In the meantime, listen to "Devil Town" - Bright Eyes (covering Daniel Johnston)

October Road - "Pilot"
"Don't Look Back" - Boston [buy album]
"The World I Know" - Collective Soul [buy album]
"Shambala" - Three Dog Night [buy album]
"Lost Horizons" - Gin Blossoms [buy album]
"Glass, Concrete & Stone" - David Byrne [buy album]
"Boys Are Back In Town" - Thin Lizzy [buy album]
"Take It On The Run" - REO Speedwagon [buy album]
"Homesick" - The Vines [buy album]
"Weather With You" - Crowded House [buy album]
"This Old Life" - Dan Zweben
*Could only find on MySpace
"You're All I Want" - Devin Powers

Scrubs - "My Long Goodbye"
"A Bad Dream" - Keane [buy album]

Scrubs - "My Words of Wisdom"
"Last Request" - Paolo Nutini [buy album]

Scrubs - "Their Story"
"Forever Lost" - The Magic Numbers [buy album]

Entourage - "Less Than 30"
"B.O.B." - Outkast [buy album]
"Lapdance" - N.E.R.D. [buy album]

Entourage - "Dog Day Afternoon"
"Use Me" - Bill Withers [buy album]
"Somersault (Danger Mouse Remix)" - Zero 7 [buy album]
"Tumbling Dice" - The Rolling Stones [buy album]

Entourage - "Manic Monday"
"Your Touch" - The Black Keys [buy album]

Grey's Anatomy - "Time After Time"
"You Know I'm No Good" - Amy Winehouse [buy album]
"Burning" - The Whitest Boy Alive [buy album]
"Dancing With Myself" - Nouvelle Vague [buy album]
"Clean Getaway" - Maria Taylor [buy album]
"Fontana Fontaine" - Lullaby Baxter [buy album]
"A Good Start" - Maria Taylor [buy album]

16 Comments:

Anonymous k said...

Thanks, Cap'n!
Ah, I miss the US TV variety (currently living in UK). And HBO:).

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sonny, thanks for putting up the tunes. Btw, I'm hooked on October Road even though the dialogues gets too much at times and there's a lot of cheesyness (sp?). Hopefully, ABC gives this show a chance unlike a certain network that named Fox.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sonny. after reading other post and hearing how you raved about Friday Night Lights so i watched it and got addicted. i agree with the finale. its good to have open endings but definitely not that open.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Piney said...

I'm liking October Rd too - peanut allergy, pizza girl and all. I hate football but FNL is growing on me. But what's so great about The Riches?
Thanks for all the tunes. You're the best!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Rae said...

Don't watch "Time After Time". It sucked. Sucked so much that I swore I would stop watching Grey's if this week's episode wasn't just a little bit better.

Thank god, tonight's episode was okay. Not wonderful, but better. I'm still holding out, but if things don't look up, I might have to quit on it too.

But thanks for continuing to post the songs!!
And tell Trevor that I completely adore The Whitest Kids U'Know, and I force all my friends to watch it, and it's all thanks to you.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous megan said...

Woot woot! I am especially excited for these tunes as my computer died yesterday taking all my tunes with it. So I am rebuilding my music collection from scratch. Which sucks. Though I think Ive finally reached a point where I can accept it; as opposed to last night when I was ready to go all Office Space on my laptop and beat it with a baseball bat.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous annie said...

thanks so much for the tunes! i was missing them. very good news about FNL! I wonder what else is on the soundtrack..

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Krissi said...

Oh, Cap't, you're the bestest! Thanks for the posts and the tunage.

I hope things get better for Alec Baldwin. Now, that I'm watching the show, I'd hate it if he left since he's the main reason I watch.

So sad that Asia won . . .

Thanks again, Cap't!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot.

I pray that Alec B doesn't leave 30 Rock.
I really liked the finale of Friday Night Lights. Here's hoping for a second year.

-Ry

11:34 AM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hi K,
Any good British shows I'm missing out on?

Hey Anon 5:53,
October Road looks like it'll be coming back next year, as the show just bumped up two of their actors to regulars post-finale.

Hi Anon 6:13,
Glad you got hooked!

Hey Piney,
Glad you're liking the shows. I haven't seen the other Riches episodes, but I def wanted to find out what happens next after the pilot.

Hey Rae,
Good to know about "Time After Time". And even better to know that it got better this week.

I will definitely tell Trevor that you're spreading the Whitest Kids love!

Hi Megan,
Sorry to hear about your computer! Hard drive crashes and sharks are two of my bigger fears in life.

p.s. Office Space is amazing.

Hi Annie,
You're welcome! I'm gonna guess Explosions in the Sky might make the FNL soundtrack too. =)

Hey Krissi,
You're welcome! Asia sucks! (the Pussycat Doll, not the continent)

Hi Ry,
You're welcome. I wonder who would replace Alec if he left...

4:53 PM  
Blogger Scribe LA said...

Wusical Wednedsay - charming, not nerdy:-) Great recaps... short and sweet. Drinks soon!
Scribe

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recaps. I've been hearing chatter among friends about October Road but never checked it out...

9:37 AM  
Anonymous raynp said...

I'm sad about Grey's hopefully they can pull something great off soon. Jane Doe has become my favorite character!...now that's sad.

I kind of liked October Road as well, but i missed the finale!

Thanks for the post and the tunes, now I'm going to pour my glass of V-8!

Peace

11:54 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

you rock :)

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Thanks as always for the music, and for the link to the Grey's analysis as well...that summed up a lot of my feelings, especially over the past few episodes.

8:52 PM  
Blogger dong dong23 said...

oakley vault
oakley sunglasses
asics running shoes
cheap jordans
michael kors handbags
fitflops sale clearance
true religion outlet
louis vuitton
gucci outlet
kobe bryant shoes
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
nike air force 1
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton handbags
true religion
asics shoes
louis vuitton outlet
cartier watches
jordans
michael kors outlet clearance
nike uk
longchamp bags
adidas outlet
jordan concords
toms shoes
michael kors purses
replica watches for sale
louis vuitton outlet
replica watches
toms shoes
nike air max
louis vuitton
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet
supra shoes
20166.25wengdongdong

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home