Friday, September 07, 2007

40 Posts In 40 Weekdays: Here To Please

I noticed in the comments that many of you enjoy finding new music here more than anything else. Duh, Sonny, free mp3s. Thus, I shall take a break from the TV reviews for a day to highlight five songs that have been in heavy rotation on the iPhone lately (yep, any excuse to bring up the iPhone again). Two of the songs were sent to me on a compilation CD from Lyle at Bank Robber Music. Thanks Lyle! He's like the male Alexandra Patsavas, with his company also placing great indie bands on TV shows. Check out his site here.

Anyway, I digress. Listen to these tracks on repeat, buy some albums, do a random act of kindness, and let me know how you bettered someone else/what you think of the songs!

Changing the world one post at a time,
Sonny Lee

"Unless It's Kicks" - Okkervil River [buy album] [more tracks]

"Selfish Jean" - Travis [buy album] [more tracks]

"The Magic Position" - Patrick Wolf [buy album] [more tracks]

"Lake Michigan" - Rogue Wave [buy album] [more tracks]

"Fa-Fa-Fa" - Datarock [buy album] [more tracks]

9 Comments:

Anonymous megan said...

Thanks for the tunes! I really like the Rogue Wave one.

Oh and also, saw Rilo Kiley last night and had a blast. They played a good mix of old (kicking things off with "It's a Hit," also played "Paint's Peeling" and "Portions for Foxes" within the first like 5 songs) and new stuff. Had a great energy. They did "Rise up with Fists" as well, though I actually preferred Jenny's version.
But the coolest part was when Jenny picked 2 people to come up on stage and dance! (everyone was thinking they were going to do the Frug, but no it was to Smokedetector, one of the new tunes) I was like "Frick! Frick! Frick! why did I not push my way up to a position in the front row by the stage?!?! Frick! I could totally be dancing in a Blake and Jenny sandwich right now! Frick!"
Jonathan Rice opened and rocked. Grand Ole Party was the 1st act. They had a female lead singer/drummer which I thought was cool, but thats really all I remember about them.

10:03 AM  
Blogger NYOne said...

Hey! Yay for new music, though of course I enjoy your thoughts on TV shows with or without mp3s. The Magic Position is a favorite of mine this summer, along with Mika's Lollipop and Can I Get Get from Junior Senior. From Okkervil River I really like The Plus Ones.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous merryme said...

I haven't heard yet these songs but I wanted to thank you for the Tegan and Sara ones,I loved them! thanks to your blog i've known a lot of songs!I don't live in the USA so sometimes it's good to hear new stuff!i've been hearing a lot of Mika this summer,like nyone,do you like his songs?
today i was kind and helped other people in their work when i could go..i know,i'm stupid but oh well!
and you ARE changing the world one post at a time so keep up!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting those songs! I really like all of them. Hey, how's Rob and Big going?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Krissie said...

So good to see you back! I also love Travis. I discovered them from Jim's playlist on iTunes(from the Office). I really like to think of him as a real person...

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying The Magic Position, but I'll have to give the other ones some time to grow on me.

Thoughts on the iPhone price decrease (and subsequent rebate)?

It's true, I like free music, but usually when it's coupled with your thoughts on a show or movie.
I really appreciate when you post (or even just list) a song or two from a soundtrack because I always forget to look them up myself.

Thanks Sonny!

~Leah

12:08 AM  
Blogger Laura. said...

Good tunes, Sonny. If I can make a recommendation, I've recently been introduced to a band called SoftLightes. They're fantastic. Their latest album is amazing - "Say No To Being Cool Say Yes To Being Happy".

9:30 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

lake michigan!!!

come out to chicago and visit the real thing. :)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Swishy said...

I turned off someone's headlights for them even though it was raining really hard and I was using a towel for an umbrella!

Love the 40-in-40!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home