Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fall TV Preview - Tuesdays

Hey friends, I've read your comments, some a bit more strongly worded than others, and I know I've let you down the past few days. Been incredibly busy... deadlines, weddings, flossing, you know, the time-consuming stuff. But I wanna be a lovemaker not a heartbreaker, so I'm gonna try and make up for it by posting mulitple times in the next two days. And I'll also do the dishes. Happy? Fine, I'll finally go to Bikram's Yoga with you too.

Keep in mind though, the pledge was 40 Posts In 40 Days, so technically... we're still on track, I will still hit my goal. Hi, Sonny "Loophole" Lee here, pleasure to meet you.

Anyway, continuing from my previous Fall TV Preview post, let's now talk Tuesdays. Actually, this'll be a very short conversation, since there's only one show to DVR...

9:00-10:00 PM: REAPER (CW)



Definitely the most entertaining pilot out of the new fall shows. Loved the script back in April, love the finished product even more. In the first episode alone, Reaper is already what NBC's Chuck should try to become.

Starring Bret Harrison from the short-lived and underrated comedy, The Loop, the show revolves around his character, Sam, a slacker who finds out on his 21st birthday that his parents sold his soul to the Devil, played perfectly by Ray Wise (Twin Peaks). Sam must now work for the Devil, retrieving souls that have escaped from Hell.

Mixing humor, action, and a sprinkle of heart, Reaper is getting a lot of comparisons to Buffy. I see the obvious similarities, but Reaper seems more like a 20-something slacker comedy, kinda like Clerks (Kevin Smith fittingly directed the pilot), that happens to be set in a supernatural action setting. Whereas Buffy was more of a supernatural action drama that happened to be set in a lighter, high school setting, allowing for small doses of comedy. I'm hoping the main trait Reaper shares with Buffy is staying on-air for many, many seasons.

One of the best aspects about the show is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. When your main character's balancing his job at a retail store with catching demon souls into a Dirt Devil vacuum, you really shouldn't be giving heavy-handed Sorkin monologues. However, Reaper does try a little too hard with the Sam/Andi relationship. Everytime the two share a scene Iron & Wine's "Such Great Heights" cover begins playing in the background. After the fifth time, you start to wonder if the network's just desperately trying to capitalize on the Grey's music formula: slow indie song + relationship scene = viewers making fansites, wallpapers and telling their Nielson-box owning friends.

But hey, at least it's good music. The show does boast a good soundtrack so far. Beck, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Silversun Pickups, etc. A full list of pilot songs will be posted in a Musical Monday post-premiere, but in the meantime, here are some tracks from the pilot you might enjoy:

"Deadwood" - Dirty Pretty Things [buy album] [more tracks]
"Such Great Heights" - Iron & Wine [buy album] [more tracks]
"Lazy Eye" - Silversun Pickups [buy album] [more tracks]
"Henrietta" - The Fratellis [buy album] [more tracks]

If this show seems intriguing to you, check out more videos, including an interview with Kevin Smith, right here. Leave a comment and let me know what you'll be watching on Tuesdays! Should I be watching House? I stopped after Season One...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, not the guy from Breaker High!
Although, look at how far Ryan Gosling has come...
Doesn't look like something I'll actively pursue but I'll definitely check it out if it's on.

~Leah

8:14 AM  
Anonymous megan said...

Glad you're back. Hope a Wed TV preview is coming up next because I want to know your thoughts on Pushing Daisies. I mean its from the guy who made Wonderfalls so it has to be cute and quirky and fun right?

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Alden said...

"In the first episode alone, Reaper is already what NBC's Chuck should try to become."

Have to say, I thought the opposite: that Reaper, while amusing, was a pale imitation of the brilliant Chuck. I even kept a friend from watching Reaper directly after Chuck because I didn't want her to be disappointed and not bother watching Reaper. Hm.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nowhere creatively to go with Reaper. Dirt Devil action won't be sustainable week after week. The Cancellation grim reaper is coming for this show before the end of the year. Chuck won't be far behind.

Pushing Daisies is the hit of the year. It is brilliant and creatively limitless. I predict is moves to 9PM on Wednesdays (up from 8PM where Lost also began) and becomes the most talked about new show of the year.

-CR

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to add any new shows to my viewing schedule (which currently includes Brothers and Sisters, Prison Break, Gossip Girl, Private Practice - for a week or so to try, and Grey's Anatomy).

I was quite impressed with Gossip Girl, although as a loyal reader I didn't like how they changed so many characters. But I do hope you add it to the Musical Mondays list. Please? In honour of The OC and Josh Schwartz?

4:47 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

You are ridiculous. Yea, everybody is looking forward to Reaper, but it's its lead-in that anchors the night. Everybody is going boinkers for the new season of Beauty and the Geek. COME ON! I already let your Monday catastrophe slip through the cracks(no Prison Break or K-Ville???? Are you serious?). Don't disappoint me on Wednesdays.

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Krissi D said...

Hi Cap't,

I, too, am looking forward to Reaper (as well as Pushing Daisies), and there are some other new shows I'll try out, too like Moonlight, Aliens in America, and maybe Journeyman.

Glad you're staying busy, but it's also fun to read your posts and pick up new CD ideas from the MP3s you kindly let us sample.

Have a good one, Cap't!

5:20 PM  
Blogger VB said...

THIS IS SOOO FUNNY!! Check it out!!

http://www.dijit.com/dijits/ahs/ahs/

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home