Thursday, November 08, 2007

Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?

UPDATE: I just talked to the shelter. They were able to find Cutie's owner today, and she is picking her up this afternoon! Apparently, Cutie managed to escape from their yard earlier this week.

Thanks to all of you who forwarded this along to friends and family, and a very big thank you to Barbara, who offered to take Cutie in. The power of the internet... which is the main issue of the next cause I'll be posting about: the strike.

--------------------------

**DISCLAIMER: I am totally about to pull an Ellen on all of you.**

I haven't felt much real emotion in quite a while. Not since Felicity Season Two if I remember correctly.

Well this beagle to my right changed all that.

Tonight I came home and parked next to my apartment complex. A little background. I live not in the worst of neighborhoods, but definitely not the nicest. Some friends have swung by and said they liked the place, others have asked if they should get their tetanus shot first. The cul de sac next to my apartment is a bit shady. Drug deals happen on occasion (Sonny's gotta make money somehow). My backyard is the 405. Friends often call to ask if I can look out my window and update them on traffic. To which the answer is always, "Don't even bother." (Seriously, it's neverending here.)

Anyway, I tell you this so you can imagine the setting in which this beagle came up to me, starving and caked in mud/poop, kind of hard to discern the two. There are no yards around, just cars whizzing by in the background.

I'll call this beagle "Cutie" since that's what she seemed to respond to, and also because it rhymes with her last name, "Patooty." So Cutie Patooty walked right up to me and I knelt down to pet her and was immediately thrown back by her awful stench. She smelled like she was just born from an asshole. Like she had literally stayed in an ass for nine months, growing and feeding, and decided to come out with all the surrounding entrails. So she was dirty, got it? OK.

She seemed to be begging for food. I know this because she audibly said so. She kept mumbling something about KFC.

Dirty, starving, it was like running into the canine Lindsay Lohan. Clearly, she'd been out and about for a while. Cutie, not Lindsay. But if you had to call only one of these two a bitch, it certainly wouldn't be Cutie. She was the nicest, dare I say, cutest dog in the world. Mild mannered and quiet, she seemed tired and out of it, so I led her around the cul de sac to see if anyone had lost her. No one was around. So I figured I at least had to clean her.

My building doesn't allow dogs, so I picked her up and snuck her into my apartment. Gave her a bath, which she actually seemed to enjoy. Gave her what little food I had in my kitchen (Trader Joe's chicken egg rolls). And gave her a few stuffed toys to play with (not really sure why I had stuffed toys in my closet).

After all of this, Cutie started to pour on the charm. She'd just follow me around and nuzzle up next to my leg. I don't even have a comfortable leg, it's very boney. All she wanted was human touch. And with this, we shared something very much in common.

I didn't know what to do, so I started calling the local shelters. No one picked up, all closed. My friend, Chris, graciously came over and we decided to at least check out a shelter nearby that was listed as closed. There were two people working there, and they kindly let us in. They took the dog and examined her. I started asking questions, and somehow in a flurry of action, the next thing I knew, Cutie was locked away in what looked like maximum security prison.

Don't get me wrong, the shelter and those two workers seemed nice, and I'm sure they're taking great care of her, but it was incredibly depressing watching Cutie being taken away. My friend Chris can confirm that when they took her, she would not budge from my leg. They had to drag her off to the holding cells. Pretty sure my facial expression matched the one I had when I first watched Bambi lose his mother.

Now, I have the option as the "source" to adopt her within the next 48 hours, and I only have to pay $10 for all the fees. However, I cannot. Again, my apartment is small and horrible, and even if it wasn't, my building doesn't allow pets.

Which is why I turn to all of you LA-based readers. If you know of a good person, or you yourself are a good person, who wants to adopt Cutie, then please let me know.

Mr. Vick, please stop emailing me.

They hold the dog for 10 business days to see if the owner comes to claim her, but the request to adopt can be put in now, so that in the very likely case that the owner doesn't, the dog goes to you.

If you let me know in the next 48 hours, I can go and get Cutie for the "source" rate of $10 and give her to you. [deleted to avoid another DeGeneres debaucle] [I've confirmed with them that there would be no Ellen situation if I give the dog to someone else]

You can go to this website and request to adopt her yourself for $86-91.

Either way, Cutie is the best dog I've ever met. Beagles are know to be dogs with the least amount of health problems. All they want to do is sniff, hang out with a yellow bird and solve a crime or two (I think she might be part-basset hound). The shelter thinks she's about 1 year and 3 months old. She weighs about 30 lbs.

She never barked once while I was with her. She ate her eggrolls with chopsticks. And she made my bed after she peed in it. This is usually how my dates go. But unlike those dates, Cutie actually made me feel warm inside. (pausing for you to finish rolling your eyes) So, if you live in LA, please ask around and holler. I'd really like her to end up in a good home, and maybe I could even come visit once in a while?



MP3: "Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?" - Ryan Adams
[buy album] [myspace] [more tracks]

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I follow your blog mainly because I enjoy your taste in television, and sometimes music. You are also a polished read. I wanted to comment for the first and probably only time that I applaud your compassion for Cutie. While I can say that I have been a fan, I must now add that you have earned my respect. You could have ignored the smelly dog. But you didn't. You then used your blog to hopefully find Cutie a home. I hope Cutie finds a great home and you get to visit her often. I also hope that your selfless act is kharmically rewarded.

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You saved cutie's life, your post gave me hope that their actually is some decent kind hearted people left.:)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I live in Colorado, so the logistics of adopting Cutie probably wouldn't work. Also my wife and I just adopted a dog in September, so we now have two dogs. It is an extremely rewarding experience, and if there are any readers in the LA area, take a chance and share your home with Cutie. You won't regret it.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Scribe LA said...

Sniffle *tear*. Cutie is clearly aptly named and if I hear of anyone looking to adopt (barring Mr. Vick, or course) I'll send them your way.
-Scribe

10:22 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sonny, you're the sweetest ! I really hope Cutie gets a good home.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've warmed my heart.

But I don't think you should get the source rate for someone else unless the shelter is OK with it, and I doubt they would be.

You sure you can't move? That dog is yours, man.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

She's adorable, best of luck getting her adopted!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

My fiancee works for someone big in the dog world...forwarding...

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Amber said...

sonny!! I want him! does fedex do dogs?
Also, don't think you should offer up the "source" rate. Did you not learn anything from Ellen-gate?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I commend you for using your blogging powers for good! Cutie's adorable - I'm here in NYC or else I would holler out to find her a good home.

Also seconding the "source rate" issue - That's what got Ellen in trouble, no? Well kind of.

We don't want a cutiegate!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call Beagles and Buddies - they are a kickass Beagle Rescue group in the LA area.

http://www.beaglesandbuddies.com/

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonny, She is so cute I think you should keep her and we'll help you find a new aparment :)

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post just made my day. :) You saved Cutie!!

I really do hope that Cutie finds a nice warm house to belong to.

3:11 PM  
Blogger sam said...

oh man, if i lived in LA I would so adopt cutie, but, alas, Brooklyn is far far away.

however, i seem to be saying "if i lived in LA a lot lately" so maybe i shall be there soon enough...

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, surely there is a reader out there who lives in the immediate area! I'm slightly nervous because a lot of shelter will euthanize (okay, kill) dogs if they are not adoptable.

If Cutie were here in Massachusetts, she'd be snapped up fast--people love small dogs here, which are hard to find in shelters.

Maybe you could check out the breed rescue above. Some of the breed rescues will take dogs that aren't adopted within the shelter's timeframe.

I'm sorry you aren't able to take Cutie herself, as she seems very happy to be with you in the pictures, but a dog is a huge responsibility so I understand where you're coming from. I wish more people thought about this stuff before they got a dog, because these are the ones who give up dogs because they're moving, or the kids got bored with the dog, or they just don't want to bother anymore.

Jane

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Krissi D said...

Hi Cap't,

I read such nice remarks here in the comment section, and you surely deserve them all, so instead of repeating, basically, what everyone else has said to you, I'll just second it all!

If I lived closer than Florida, I'd be right over to adopt Cutie; she certainly matches the name you gave her. I so hope that one of your LA readers comes through for you. In the meantime, I have some friends around that area, and so do some of my friends, so I'm passing along Cutie's story and the website.

Please keep us informed on what's going on with Cutie!

BTW, how are things going for you now that the writing strike's on?

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the best thing I've read all week! Cutie is adorable and your whole story brought a tear to my eye! Thanks so much for caring enough to bring her in, clean her up and feed her, and bring her to a shelter. And thank TPTB that her owners were found! Yay! All is right with the world!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Cutie found her way Home! That microchip sure came in handy. And I will confirm that Cutie was basically OBSESSED with Sonny. When I held her in the car and he went to drive she started crying when he only was gone for like 5 seconds. So yeah dude, that was cool. You earned serious Karma points on that.
- Chris

3:16 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yay! I'm glad that Cutie found her way back home!!

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I kind of love you. How are you single?

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Musical Monday PLEASE! Seriously I have tried to find the music and can't and am going insane from a lack of new music and do you really want to be responsible for my mental health like that?
If you post songs I'll love your forever. Or at least tell me where/how you find those songs.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love you. If for no other reason than using Ryan Adams to try and get a dog adopted. I love you. Also, Congrats on your costume making it on PopCandy.
And if for any reason you want a particular song let me know.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Cutie goes back home. I wonder what her real name is?

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Krissi D said...

So, so, so, so glad Cutie's family found her (thanks to you, Sonny)!!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, a Michael Vick joke, you hack? You're fired.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah cutie is home :)

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your dog is cute, but why do all of the camera angle shots make me feel dirty?

10:02 AM  
Blogger marco said...

They need care and love.....nothing else!!!

Watch TV Shows Online

3:09 AM  
Blogger jfeltonx7 said...

These pets are very faithful. And I love my pet browny.

Watch Movies Online

1:59 AM  
Blogger Zheng junxai5 said...

zhengjx20160512
cheap jordans
ralph lauren outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
air max
replica rolex watches
louis vuitton outlet stores
hollister clothing store
christian louboutin sale clearance
hollister clearance
fitflop clearance
christian louboutin sale
jordan retro 11
hollister kids
ray ban wayfarer
nhl jerseys
louis vuitton outlet
instyler
nike trainers women
air force 1 trainers
retro 11
cheap basketball shoes
michael kors outlet clearance
adidas running shoes
celine bags
burberry outlet
giuseppe zanotti outlet
concord 11
lebron james shoes 13
nike roshe run mens
insanity workout
michael kors outlet clearance
adidas superstar trainers
fitflop shoes
kate spade
coach outlet store online
tory burch outlet online
oakley vault
nike free 5.0
cheap oakleys
gucci bags

8:53 PM  
Blogger dong dong23 said...

louis vuitton
kate spade handbags
ray ban sunglasses outlet
nike basketball shoes
ralph lauren polo
christian louboutin outlet
jordan 8s
nike outlet store
rolex submariner
coach factory outlet
coach factory outlet
true religion outlet
nike air huarache
pandora jewelry
christian louboutin shoes
christian louboutin
kobe bryant shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
cheap jordans
timberland boots
adidas uk
kate spade
air jordans
michael kors handbags
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
ralph lauren polo outlet
nike air max
michael kors outlet
hollister outlet
nike blazers
ralph lauren
nike nfl jerseys
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton handbags
tory burch outlet
jordans for sale
tory burch outlet
nike sb
20166.25wengdongdong

7:48 PM  
Blogger Zheng junxai5 said...

zhengjx20160723
jordan retro 8
replica watches
supra for sale
louis vuitton handbags
coach factory outlet
giuseppe zanotti outlet
louis vuitton purses
nike uk
michael kors outlet clearance
basketball shoes
coach outlet
vans sneakers
cheap jerseys
asics shoes for men
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin wedges
michael kors outlet clearance
ray bans
ray ban sunglasses
oakley vault
louis vuitton handbags
jordan retro 11
nike blazers shoes
oakley outlet
ray ban sunglasses
burberry outlet online
beats by dr dre
oakley sunglasses
michael kors purses
tory burch boots
polo ralph lauren
true religion outlet
longchamp handbags
true religion outlet store
adidas uk
nike store
true religion outlet
nike sb dunks
adidas superstar
louis vuitton outlet stores

8:00 PM  
Blogger فاطمة said...

https://decor-ksa.com/iron-doors/
https://decor-ksa.com/steel-doors/
http://mchaabaty.com/factory/
http://mchaabaty.com/new/
http://mchaabaty.com/marble/

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home