Monday, January 21, 2008

A Breakup Song

Hey friends, I've been working on editing the interview I promised you with my buddies Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg. Their answers were great, but it's just taking a bit to edit out my awkwardness and random loud snorts of laughter.

While I was messing around with the interview in GarageBand, I ended up recording a song I wrote after "The Breakup". I intended on recording it solely for my friend Lauren -- she and I recently decided to start performing together here and there in LA. For you haters, no, this isn't a career move. We both individually used to perform or be in bands growing up, we both stopped at some point, and we both made new year's resolutions to start again. Just something we miss doing.

Anyway, despite the fact that I recorded this on an internal laptop mic, and despite the fact that I had to twist my body into ways I had never thought possible to work with said mic, I'm content with the outcome. I figured I'd upload it here since I haven't blogged in a while.

I will probably delete tomorrow when I realize this post is the blog equivalent of a college dorm room. But in the meantime, why don't you put that Econ book away, have a seat in my bean bag chair, and listen to this song about my ex? Leave my door open. I want people in the hallway to hear.

MP3: "A Breakup Song" - Sonny Lee

*click on the "continue reading" link below for lyrics

A BREAKUP SONG
by Sonny Lee

This is the day when you turned colder
Freezing alone
While I wait by the phone
But I know it's good

Don't start the day until it's over
Where I'm happy again
Pretending we didn't end
But I know it's good

Well maybe some time by myself could make it right
Maybe last night is the last time that we fight
Say goodbye to the life
Where you stood by as my wife
Cause baby, I know that you had to go, but I know it's good.

Long live the day when we grew older
You and I have turned grey
And we've faded away
But I know it's good

God bless the day when I got sober
Never drink you again
I can see it's the end
But I know it's good

Well maybe some time with someone new
Could make it right
Maybe last night is the last time that we fight
Goodbye to the life
Where you stood by as my wife
Cause baby, I know that you had to go, but I know it's good.

The silence you hear is the sound of me giving up and down
The empty space that fills your bed is where we left all of our dreams for dead
But we tried and it never was everything that we thought because
I've re-written history to where you were never in love with me at all.
It helps the fall.

When my birthday comes in October
Don't send me a card
I won't know who you are
But I know it's good

Don't put that head down on my shoulder
Don't touch me at all
Don't write and don't call
I know it's good

Maybe the time already passed to make it right
Maybe some wine and some whiskey could warm the nights
Maybe I'm trying too hard
Cause I'm falling apart
Baby I know, that you had to go, but I don't know...
Why you went away, why we ended today, why I thought we could.
But it's time to part, please give back my heart, cause I know it's good.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listening to it now. This is so good! I like the lyrics a lot, too. Stop being so multi-talented, Sonny! You're making the rest of us look bad :)

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonny this song is really good! You should put up the other ones too!

- Chris

10:54 AM  
Anonymous megan said...

Great lyrics. Thanks for sharing that.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Annie said...

This is really good. You should post more.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Dude the song is awesome...listened to it straight for the last 40 minutes...

How talented are you???...what is next??? maybe some painting???

12:30 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hi Anon 5:06,
Thanks for checking it out! If you're in LA, hopefully you'll come to the first "gig"...whenever that may be!

Hey Chris,
Thanks dude. Yeah, I think I may put up more in the future. I just really hate dealing with this shitty mic.

Hi Megan,
Glad you liked the lyrics. All my songs seem to have the same message: relationships suck!

Hey Annie,
Thanks! I think I may!

Hi Daniel,
Thanks man. Yikes, after 40 minutes, I'm sure you noticed all the little mistakes, but I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

I actually did paint in high school! But it was only cause I didn't have any athletic skills and was left home alone a lot...

1:07 PM  
Blogger Pound said...

holla!
just wanted to say thanks for my itunes card, and um,

didn't know you sang and or played the gee-tar and well damn, what else can you do?
it's really good.

for some reason, i didn't imagine you sounding like this. all melancholy and romantic. haha i may have to reexamine the world as i know it.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is quite a good song! you should definitely save it for one of your future TV shows too.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hello Pound,
You're welcome! Glad you got the card!

Thanks for checking out the song. In answer to your question, I can also rub my tummy and tap my head at the same time. And... that's it!

But seriously, thanks for the kind words.

Hi Anon 6:17,
From your lips to God's ears to my wallet, I hope that is the case.

Thanks for checking it out!

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Sonja said...

This is really good. I'm just making a mixtape for my friend and I did not hesitate to put the song on the tape. So pretty soon you'll probably have a huge fan base in Germany (:

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You definitely have talent. Maybe it's because I love the folky-type of song but I really enjoyed it. I agree with previous comments - post more! :) I'm glad you're pursuing the band thing as well, it can only be good for ya.

-Bronwyn

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better than I expect! Which is to say, I thought it would be ok, but it was good stuff!
Definitely interested in hearing more.
~Leah

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. You sound less nerdy than I had expected.
I think I'm a little disappointed.

Leah

8:59 PM  
Blogger Boom Quina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Boom said...

This is great. While I still think commenting in a blog while in office is a crime as grave as printing song lyrics using office-supplied paper, I can't help but give you a pat on the back. The song is wonderful.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Sonny, love your song! I wish I lived anywhere near LA so I could come check out your "gig".

10:28 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Sonja,
Wow, I'm flattered you put it on a mixtape. Thanks!

Hi Bronwyn,
Thanks! I've missed performing, so it'll be fun to do here and there... one of these days I'll get some decent recording equipment, like a working microphone, and I'll record some more songs.

Hey Leah,
Thanks, I'm all about low expectations. And trust me, my speaking voice is as nerdy as they get. No need to be disappointed!

Hi Boom,
I appreciate the "at work" comment!

Hello Lisa,
Thanks! I wish you did too!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Olivia said...

I love your song! I also think I might have a teeny tiny crush on you... bolstered by the fact that you sent me a copy of the Princess Bride (ok, ok, your PR people did) and that you were so nice to that stray beagle... *swoons*

4:33 PM  
Anonymous supersonicjane said...

Wow, this is awesome. All it needs are some maracas and we're ready for your YouTube debut.

Did you record it all in one take, or record each part separately? I love the harmonies! Post more songs! You've been holding out on us! This is my last exclamation point!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ummmm...where did this come from, Sonny?!?!? We didn't even know you had it in ya! I think all this song needs is a little heavy breathing to round out the base line. Heavy, carnal breathing...like you are hungry....REALLY hungry....just a thought.

2:41 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

Well, lyrics are awesome. I really like it. Thanks for sharing. I am also very fond of tv shows and I Watch TV Shows Online.

12:11 AM  
Blogger rhys said...

Fantastic song. Very touching.

Watch Movies Online

11:22 AM  
Anonymous eddie murray said...

Good song with beautiful lyrics.

Watch Glee Episodes Online

10:07 AM  
Anonymous PDF converter said...

Good song, but so sad! Breaking up is always so painful...

3:07 AM  
Anonymous mac from mp4 to dvd said...

Well, lyrics are awesome. I really like it.
I have a program called windows dvd maker but it doesnt seem to recognize the mp4 files i've created with my hd video camera. when i go to drop the files into the window to create a burn list the program doesnt recognize the files. why is this? do i need a different program? does my video camera automatically happen to save files only in the mp4 format? can i change that? is there a free dvd burning program i can download?

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home