Friday, January 25, 2008

Torchwood

If you're tired of all the reality shows flooding your TV screens during the strike (how disappointing was Moment of Truth? I wanna see lives ruined dammit!), one place you should check out for fun scripted fare is BBC America.

Though I've never seen the first season, and though it has one of the lamest titles of recent memory, I just watched a screener for the second season premiere of Torchwood.

And I liked it. A lot!

For you Buffy fans, this is right up your alley, combining fun dialogue, drama and procedural paranormal cases into each episode. Oh, and James Marsters too, who is awesome as a conniving Time Agent with quite the hungry libido. Click here for a two-page TV Guide interview with him.

I also enjoyed the very cute Eve Myles, who plays Gwen. I want to make love to her eyes and that oddly endearing gap between her teeth. I think I'm revealing too much about myself. Check out Pop Candy's podcast interview with her here.

The production value leaves a bit, okay a lot, to be desired, especially if you're used to watching something like Friday Night Lights, but it's still a step above Doctor Who. And once the story gets going, it really doesn't matter.

Basically, if you're looking for an entertaining, slightly campy SCI FI ride, with a bi-sexual protagonist, cool British accents, and lots of "whoosh" audio effects, then Torchwood is the show for you!

The second season premieres tomorrow, Jan. 26th, on BBC America at 9pm ET/PT. Here's the trailer:



P.S. Check out the playlist from the first episode. Every song has the word "time" in it. And if you read this blog religiously, then all three of you will know that I did a "Time" playlist not long ago.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Melanie said...

And you're not going to pimp Doctor Who? It seems right up your alley!

Shameful.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Nessa said...

Yeah, I'm with Melanie with this one! DW is fantastic.

Besides, the "lame" title is an anagram of Doctor Who. It's produced by the same people. Captain Jack guests on DW. And there's plenty of "whoosh" sounds to love as well.

I'm just saying. :)

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Sybil said...

More than "a step above" Doctor Who, I like to think of Torchwood as "Doctor Who for grownups". I've been a fan of the Doctor for about 25 years, through many regenerations, but Captain Jack stole my heart straight away. And bi-sexual? More like omni-sexual if you ask me. This show is great stuff.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started watching Torchwood in Season 1 and I love Captain Jack. The season 1 finale was a bit out there (even for Torchwood standards) but I'm still excited about seeing it come back tonight!

1:38 PM  
Blogger fadedsilverscreen said...

I've been hearing so many good things about Torchwood that I finally added it to my Netflix queue. Looking forward to watching the first episode!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on another note, i'm pretty sure more than three people read your blog religiously- is it sad to say i've been following for 2 years?i can't wait for the posts currently in draft stage to be brought to final stage!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous check sanity said...

I don't know if it's just me... but I can't see any of your old posts. I too have been an avid reader and was trying to look for an older post... but everything before the "break up song" post isn't showing.
Anyways, can't wait to read the new stuff.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Scribe LA said...

Hey Sonny,
Caught the end of Rob & Big last night and scrolled the credits in slo-mo to see you and Pat's name in lights. Funsies.
-Scribe

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

January 25, 2008...

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home