Friday, February 22, 2008

And The Winner Is...

Hi all. I'm blogging from my phone because a certain someone borrowed my laptop tonight, so I'll get right to the point here.

My predictions are in bold below. They're who I think will win, not who I think should.

Leave your predictions in the comments!

PICTURE: No Country For Old Men
If Juno wins, then so help me God, there will be blood.

DIRECTOR: Coen Brothers
Done deal. And rightfully so.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Juno
Michael Clayton deserves it though.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: No Country For Old Men
Fo sho.

ACTOR: Daniel Day-Lewis
I know I'm in the minority, but I thought There Will Be Blood was way overrated. It was ok, like Gangs of NY ok, but definitely not "Best Picture" great. Ebert explains why much better than I could. I also agree with this post, but DDL is clearly a lock here.

ACTRESS: Julie Christie

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem
Casey Affleck gets my vote though. You're welcome, Casey.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ruby Dee
I'll probably regret not putting Blanchette, but Swinton deserves it imho.

Click below for my full predictions.


FOREIGN LANGUAGE: Counterfeiters

ANIMATED FEATURE: Ratatouille

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: No End In Sight

ANIMATED SHORT: Peter & the Wolf

LIVE ACTION SHORT: Le Mozart des Pickpockets

DOCUMENTARY SHORT: Freeheld

ORIGINAL SCORE: Atonement

ORIGINAL SONG: "Falling Slowly" (Once)

ART DIRECTION: Atonement

CINEMATOGRAPHY: No Country

COSTUME DESIGN: Atonement

MAKEUP: La Vie en Rose

VISUAL EFFECTS: Transformers

FILM EDITING: No Country

SOUND MIXING: Transformers

SOUND EDITING: Transformers

4 Comments:

Anonymous Fletcher Tilly said...

Every win is so obvious this year. Not that Daniel Day-Lewis wasn't great in There Will Be Blood, but the only one that's really going to stand out for me is Ruby Dee's win. After her long career, she does deserve it. I'd be happy if someone unpredictable won.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous megan Gibbons said...

I agree that There Will be Blood is way overrated! I saw it this past weekend and was very disappointed. DDL was good, but that was about it. I mean at one point a character said "Im your brother... from another mother" and the whole theater burst out laughing. Come on!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Sunshine said...

I actually had a violent physical reaction when I read that Juno was nominated for best pic. I liked the movie okay, but best picture? For serious? And if anyone was going to be nominated from that movie, it should have been Jennifer Garner. She wouldn't have won, but she did a good job. But that's just my opinion. Oh, and my money's on Mongol for Best Foreign Film. Some person on NPR told me so.

I actually haven't watched any of the other of the best pic nominees. Been too busy. I'm only going to watch the Oscars to see "Falling Slowly" and James MacAvoy in a tuxedo. Are you going to catch The Swell Season when they come back to the US in the spring? I can't wait to see them live again.

Apologies for the verbiage. I'm hopped up on Valentine's chocolates.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Captain Oats said...

Hey Fletcher Tilly,
Not as predictable as you thought, no? Tilda, Colliard... I didn't expect those in the big categories. I was way off on the smaller ones.

Hi Megan Gibbons,
Agreed. I think people will realize this in a few years after the hype dies down.

Hello Sunshine,
I agree, my favorite parts of Juno were Garner and Bateman. I almost stopped watching Juno after the first 20 minutes, but it does get much, much better.

Shoulda listened to ole Sonny Lee instead of NPR. That's a rule of life.

I really, really want to see The Swell Season live. Hope your chocolates were yummy!

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home